Hi-Point HP14 trailer remodel

Started by Jason Smith, February 15, 2017, 12:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Smith

Fellas- Can anyone give any advice on replacing the floor on my HP14. It's in rough shape from the side door on back primarily on the edges. Back edge near ramp door is the worst. I figured replacing entire floor would be a good idea given it's a 1987 model.

I ordered POR15 this evening to treat the frame which is in really good condition other than light surface scaling.  Frame, floor & then paint exterior is what I'm thinking. Tires, bearings & springs were already given attention by previous owner last fall. Just wondering if there's anyone on here with any insight before I tear into it.

Thank you.

Carl Hill

I ended up lifting the fiberglass body off of mine to replace the floor. I also had to do some minor frame repair. It was a bit of a hassle but I really like the trailer and wanted to keep it. Nothing pulls better.

Carl Hill

PS, don't wait too long to replace it or the rear door/ramp will break off when you are loading your bike.
Don't ask how I know this...

Jason Smith

Carl- what's involved in removing the fiberglass shell. How many guys did you need to lift that up and off. Thank you for your input. Jason

Carl Hill

Take out every screw/bolt that goes through the fiberglass into the frame (there are plenty). Body is not really heavy, but still need someone on each corner. I just raised it up with blocks high enough to work on frame. Not easy but worth the effort. Buy best plywood you can get so you don't have to do it again for 20-30 years.

Jason Smith

Fiberglass shell is definitely coming off. Thanks Carl.

rob brown

It sounds like you are on your way with the next level! Good for you!  I seem to remember somewhere on here a discussion about taking the body off from the frame. I believe there were a couple of pics too. I did a search but couldn't find them though. The process may have involved unbolting the fiberglass body, jacking it up (not heavy), and rolling the trailer away from underneath.

Does anyone remember that thread?

Jason Smith

Thanks Rob. Im hoping to make the HP-14 look close to new again! I have a new center jack. Cut off the spare tire holder.  All carpet was ripped out. Just waiting for some garage space around bike week & the trailer will be going inside to get worked on! Plan on doing exactly that with the body & rolling the frame out. I'd love to see pictures if anyone has them.

Jason Smith

Finally started on the trailer! Floor is completely removed, they didn't intend for that floor to be removed. It's bolted down securely to say the least.   Back door, Ladder and roof rack removed. Next week get to psi washing frame & trying out the POR15 product on the frame which was in fantastic shape.

Gordon Brennan

Not sure what your plan is for flooring, but I have used a product called MDO, or Sign Board. Works and looks great and is water-proof. It is deigned to be used for exterior use as signs and stands up great. I took a small trailer frame and used a sheet of MDO as flooring and made a cord wood trailer out of it. This trailer is wide open to the weather and is outside all year. The floor has stood up very well for having bark and wet leaves sitting on it for months at a time.
Here's a write up on it.
http://www.capitolcitylumber.com/lumber-plywood/plywoods/mdo-medium-density-overlay-aka-signboard

Jason Smith

I'm going to use RFB re-enforced fiberglass board. Company outside of Columbus called Fiber Tech makes it. Very similar to what was originally installed. Thank you though for the suggestion.

Jason Smith

Used POR15 on the frame and it looks fantastic. After all the rust was wire brushed off. Then used the POR cleaner degreaser, step 2 metal prep which then etches the frame followed by POR15. Floor is going back in next. RBF made by fiber-tech near Columbus Ohio.
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0948.JPG

rob brown

It looks great! You are making my old trailer proud. It is smiling again:) Can't wait to see it when completed.

Rob

Jason Smith

Frame was restored using POR15 came out beautiful.
Used RBF reinforced fiberglass board on the floor.
Ran L track for the tie downs w moveable Stainless hooks.
After removing all the old silicone & really scrubbing inside we put Raptor Bed Liner all over inside walls & ceiling which looks like new.
New holes cut for LED lights along w additional holes for added light.
Had diamond plate cut to fit rear door dimension.
All new hardware.

Outside still left to go but it's coming along nicely.

Jason Smith

The HP14 is finally painted in PPG white! Now gotta figure out how to post pictures!