which shocks for MC5s

Started by chris richardson, September 17, 2002, 02:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris richardson

I'm building a "new" MC5 for next year and wondered what you Penton experts felt was the best shock application for the MC5 frames. I've run the works shocks (non-remote reservoir) last year and liked them OK, but I value your input, as my forte is riding, not mechanics & set-up.

400 MC5
Historic Class
9 inches travel max (or there-abouts!)
200 lb, expert rider

What about the Falcon shocks?
TechnoFlex look really cool, as you can play with the infinite adjustments!
Are Ohlins really worth it?

With 5 lap motos, are remote reservoirs really necessary? (of course, "trickness" factors in heavily).
What to use if money no object?
(although it always is)etc...

Mike Lenz

Ijust built [and just rode it for the first time yesterday] a 77 400 mc-5. I had a pair of the old alum finned black Works shocks I put on it. I ran these back in 77 when they came out and at the time had tried everything and these were by far the best. I like Ohlins on my short travel bike the best out of the others I have tried [Progressive and works], they have nore compression dampening than works which for mx is good if you only have 4 inches of travel. However for a longer travel bike its hard to beat Works custom dampening and spring rates. You give them some certian measurements of your frame, ect and ability level and they set everything up. I dont know if Ohlins does this. Maybe Jeff Reid will see this and respond. If Ohlins offers this service too they would also be a great choice. I am also courious about the adjustable shocks. Anybody use them?
I weigh over 200 lbs and ride Expert class.

Jeff Reid

Hey Mike, Yes we custom valve and can build to any spec needed. Many times we start with the original spec cards from when that bike was current so there isn't any guess work involved. We used some pretty good test riders back then and it is really fun to check out the test rider names on the spec cards- Torleif Hansen for example on some. We may need to get some measurements from the bike owner, but our data base is pretty extensive. We can do a nice piggy-back remote reservoir shock using NOS cylinder heads for "Evo" bikes that looks perfect on '77 and later bikes. Anyone interested can call us at 828-692-4525

President, Ohlins USA, Husqvarna and Penton/KTM collector
Jeff Reid

Jeff Reid

Chris, To answer your question- are remote reservors really worth it? Yes and no- They do offer a significantly larger gas chamber which is always good-you won't get as much change in gas pressure as the shocks heat up. On a longer travel bike like yours that would be good. On the other hand, a good quality shock with an internal floating gas piston (Decarbon principle)shouldn't generate that much heat in 5 laps to be a problem. I would ask what type of adjuster mechanism you can get on most shocks for these types of bikes. If it's an oriface type where you are selecting a different size hole as you spin the knob, I would think they might tend to be harsh feeling. If it's a real needle and jet bleed through the shaft then that could be pretty good.
And of course there is the "cool factor" a set of "period looking" remote reservoir shocks would look great.

Jeff Reid, VP Ohlins USA, Husqvarna and Penton/KTM collector
Jeff Reid