1973 Hungry Creek 100

Started by nedpepper, April 29, 2007, 09:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedpepper

I was reviewing some paper work the other day and ran across the results of the 1973 Hungry Creek 100 race in Red Boiling Springs, Tennessee. This was a 100 mile race thru the woods, which was done in 4 laps of a 25 mile course. The top 10 had 7 Pentons. Carl Cranke, on a 250 won overall. Jack Penton was second, Bill Unl, on a 125 Penton was third, Tom Penton, on a 125 was fourth, Dane Leimbach was fifth. Dutch Hutchings was the promoter and he listed most of the people who helped stage the event. This was a fantastic event. We came from Jacksonvile, Florida and stayed at the Count Hotel. This was a place that defined southern hospitality. I was in the 250 class and one of the main things i remember is i was flying down a dirt road in high gear and Bill Uhl flew past me on a 125 Penton then he braked and turned right and was gone.  I went past the turn, braked, turned around and took off again. I never say Uhl again. One other time i was rounding a turn on the side of a hill, giving it my best and Jack Penton passed me on the inside. To this day, i still can't figure how he was so fast and still very smooth. I finished 16th in the 250 class, that had 121 entries and was very proud of my performance.

jimpal

Hey Nedpepper,
  Thanks for sharing that story..those are great memories. I have a lot of memories that are similar ( getting passed when I thought I was really going) but never passed by famous guys like you named. Didn't have the pleasure of knowing any of those.
Jim
1972 Jackpiner
1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt

Jeff D

Reminds me of a 100-mile national in Oklahoma, probably 79 or so.  I was spectating and taking pix to do a story for Trail Rider magazine.  In the afternoon I was near the top of a long, rocky uphill.  It was straight, not too steep, but about 80 ground miles out and fatigue was taking its toll on many riders.  But then I heard a bike making really good time up the hill and I swung my camera up just as Jack Penton came into view.  He was probably in 4th gear and flying!  He saw me trailside with the camera up and ready and calmly lofted the front wheel as he motored past me.  The photo is one of the black and whites on the front of this year's POG calendar.  Dem Penton boys sure was fast!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

k4uu

I rode in that race.  blew a tire and didn't finish. Ned, could you check the results and see where Danny Young finished.  He later worked and raced for Penton.  He rode ISDT in 74 and 75.  Got married and quit Penton and racing.  He and I are good friends and riding buddys in KY.  I raced last weekend in AL with Barry Higgins, and he told me he won the 1st Hungry Creek 100.  I'm old and confused.  I think I rode in 72.  Any help would be appreciated.  BTY I will never forget the promoter of the race riding around on his Bul wearing bid overalls.

Gary Hext

Gary Hext
Gary Hext

nedpepper

Gary
  Danny Young finished 10th overall and 2nd in the 200cc class. He was number 356 and his first 25 mile lap was 1hr 55 min, combined 1st and 2nd lap was 2hr 43min, 3rd combined was 3hr 10min and overall was 3hr 46min 18 sec.
  I do remember Dutch riding around in overalls.
Thanks
Dave

Tom Penton

I was thinking about the Hungry Creek races, did a search, and came up with this 2007 post. What a glorious showing for our Pentons! And who would have thought a Californian would win overall? Well ... those of us who knew him wouldn't question it! RIP, Carl.

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Toolsurfer

I was there to watch all the races and I am sure Barry H won the the first . He was on the front page I believe On the 1973 Program I had . Hard To believe I walk almost entire course with my nephew picking up bike parts everywhere and many a sapling look like it had buck rubbings with all the bark removed or totally knocked down .1974 over 600 starters a really wild one to first turn! The Little Harpeth Enduro was run a little later North West of Nashville in Portland TN . I think the Penton clan was at that one to .

Mike Lenz

I rode it in 74. They routed us thru a working smoke house barn with smoke billowing out both end doors.  Couldnt see a thing in there! Neat race...plus the whole county was open for some road riding on the dirt bikes for the weekend!

Toolsurfer

Tom Penton, did you participate in this race or the little Harpeth enduro back in the day? I know Jack did and a lot of other great competitors of ISDT at that time . I remember Barry Higgs winning in 1972 . Jack 1973 , Carl 1974 . The reason I ask is I have never seen as many at one race ever since . Around 600 starters I believe.

Toolsurfer

Tom Penton, did you participate in this race or the little Harpeth enduro back in the day? I know Jack did and a lot of other great competitors of ISDT at that time . I remember Barry Higgs winning in 1972 . Jack 1973 , Carl 1974 . The reason I ask is I have never seen as many at one race ever since . Around 600 starters I believe.