Motoplat Bracket

Started by tlanders, October 01, 2002, 11:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

Last night I got the chance to work on my hare scrambler to find out why the ignition quit during the Peroia race last Saturday. I had figured the coil went bad or possible the wires from the stator had worn through and grounded out somewhere, etc. After taking off the gas tank, I was shocked to see the coil bracket had broken off and the coil and a piece of the bracket was just lying on the leather mud protector!!! What a bizarre failure. Has anyone else experienced this type of bracket failure? The bracket was fairly thin, around 2 mm thick, so I made a new piece with 1/8" flat stock (3mm) and gas welded it to the frame. Then I bolted the coil back to it and it started on the first kick.

Teddy, who thought he had both bikes in race ready condition only to have both of them fail on race day.

Kip Kern

Ted  You May want to update to the later Coil mounting using the flexible rubber piece with a seperate ground going to the frame?

Larry Perkins

Ted,

This happened occasionally in "The Day" and I think that is why later bikes went to the rubber mount with the seperate ground wire.

tlanders

Thanks guys, I didn't realize there was a rubber mount. I don't think any of my six Pentons has one. Do you have any Larry?

john durrill

Teddy,
 Bobby said he see's a lot of that. the metal is thin at that point on the frame. he advised rewelding any bike we ride even if no crack is apparent. the rubber bracket is just a  1/4 to 3/8 " or so thick piece of rubber Rectangle that bolts between the frame and the coil.

tlanders

Thanks John. Do you really tighten the coil through the rubber to the frame or tighten the coil to the rubber then tighten the rubber to the frame with differnt bolts ala exhaust pipe rubbers?

penton117

Hi,
The rectangular piece has 4 holes in it. Two for the frame and two below those for the coil. The holes also had small metal dowels in them (hollow obviously) Also don't forget the grounding wire from the coil bolt to one of the frame bolts.

tlanders

Thanks again poggers. I'll probably run the ground wire from the coil directly to the head on the engine. I have done this with three of the bikes already. It completes the spark circuit most directly.