Serial Number Rules

Started by Larry Perkins, February 27, 2019, 02:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

My knowledge and experience has always said if mad after August next year and before that year.  I am wondering if the first CMF bikes came out early?  I just saw on Facebook a 1972 CMF with a June 71 frame number.  Perhaps Paul Danik or someone more inside than me can shine light on this oddity.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Larry P

Paul Danik

Hi Larry,

Bill Smith was the man behind doing a lot of the early investigative work and analogy of the serial numbers. I am going from memory here, but the working theory is that the first CMF bikes were indeed built in June of "71" and they either started with serial number 50,000 or 50,001, but it could be a higher number as the earliest one we have on the list is 106 50167. The only way we will know for sure is to find machine 50,000 or get ahold of Kalman"s note book where he kept track of a lot of this info.

If you go to the frame number list there are some June of 71 machines listed, the earliest is 106 50167 followed by 106 50190, and so on.

I went and looked at the one you are talking about, 106 50237, that fits in perfectly with what I said above.

Hope this helps.
Paul

slvrbrdfxr

Here are a couple more early CMF frames that I currently own which need to be added to the frame list. First is 10850886 which I bought in Oberlin, OH last March during a trip up to the Penton 50th Anniversary celebration. This was basically a bare frame with no forks, gas tank, engine or wheels and so no idea of what the original displacement was. My main reason for picking it up (other than priced right) was it had the original shocks with the top chrome covers still on the frame. The other frame I have is 10951060 which is currently in the restoration process. This was a complete bike bought out of New Mexico many years ago and had the original 125 5A engine in it. This bike has the early style Ceriani 32mm forks with Arces single pinch bolt triple clamps. I think Al B refers to this type of forks as the "narrow front end".
Dave McC