penton wassel swing arm bolt

Started by gappster, April 05, 2019, 08:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gappster

Work on the Wassel continues. I started working on the swing arm and naturally the swing arm bolt has seen better days.

Curious if folks here had a suggestion for a replacement? Any help appreciated.

Daniel P. McEntee

My first thought is, since Wassel parts are as rare as chicken lips, is to fabricate one. Find the correct size metric shafting, cut the head off a metric bolt for the hex end, drill a hole for the shafting and TIG weld in place. Cut the correct threads on the opposite and, and you have a swing arm bolt. You can probably fabricate a new one that is better quality than the original part!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

gappster

The more i've looked at this the more I think that fabricating one may be the best path forward.

Paul Danik

gappster,

I am not sure if the Wassel trails swingarm bolt is the same as the Tyran swingarm bolt, but I have the remaining inventory from the Tyran race shop sitting in a back room for many years and I am pretty sure there are axles and maybe swingarm bolts as well. I will try to look tomorrow and see what I can find. Can you provide the total length of the bolt minus the head, and length of the threaded area. I know you have a ruler sitting with it but an accurate measurement would be nice.  I would guess it is Witworth thread.

Paul

gappster

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.

Here are the measurements:

Diameter: 14.25mm or .56"
Total length: 240.5mm or 9 5/8"
Threaded area length: 25mm or 1"

As far as the type of thread, I don't know. The threads are pretty torn up. I'll take another look and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for taking a look.

- Jeff

Dale Fisher

Measurements would be English as well as Whitworth threads.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships - POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

gappster

Dale Fisher

These guys look like they offer a cut and thread service.  Your dimensions 5/16 x 9-5/8 with probably a 5/16-18 threaded end.

http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/store/p/1393-5/16-18-Cut-and-Thread-Service.aspx

http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/store/c/22-Long-Machine-Bolts.aspx

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships - POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Paul Danik

gappster,

Yep, think I have what you need. Shot me an email if you still need it. Glad you asked about that bolt as I found a bunch of stuff I had forgotten about :)

[email protected]

Paul

gappster