Motoplat timing

Started by ccmnova, July 07, 2019, 12:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccmnova

looking for some procedure and tips to set the timing on a 74 6-days.  I searched but could not fimd anything.

Don Roth

There is an index hole in the flywheel that lines things up, paper clip works fine once unfolded.  Look on the stator (red piece) between this and the keyway should lock you in. The timing itself is set to about 2.5 mm before tdc, hope this helps.
-don

Steve Minor

I found this article quite a while ago and it always works for me.

"You should only have two pieces, the flywheel and the motoplat. The motoplat and backing plate are one piece. The motoplat or stator has three slotted holes so it can rotate to adjust the timing. The flywheel only fits on one way with the keyway on the crankshaft.

Remove the flywheel nut (lefthand threads) and remove the flywheel. Place the flywheel on the crankshaft with the keyway in place. Don't put the nut on because you will have to take on and off the flywheel until things are adjusted.

You should have a 2mm hole on the flywheel and a 2mm hole on the motoplat backing plate. Turn the flywheel clockwise until you have TDC, then turn it counterclockwise to correct timing spec and insert the 2mm timing pin. The timing pin should go through both the flywheel and the motoplat. If the pin only goes throught the flywheel and hits the backing plate, the motoplat needs to be moved one way or the other to align with the flywheel. I always used a dial indicator."

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

ccmnova

I see now the small hole in the flywheel.  specs say 3 to 3.5mm BTDC. Can anyone recommend a gauge to purchase that will work with the plug size and space restrictions above the head ??

slvrbrdfxr

You might consider looking for something like eBay item #132915328949.
Dave McC

slvrbrdfxr

You might consider looking for something like eBay item #132915328949.
Dave McC

Cal Alexander

Walridge out of Toronto Canada sells a very inexpensive universal TDC gauge to help you dial it in.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

SouthRider

One final thing  - Backing plate screws should have a little tension on them. Loose enough to be able to rotate the backing plat with the flywheel and timing pin, but tight enough that the backing plate doesn't slip when you pull the pin and flywheel out to tighten the screws.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax