Chain Guard for 72

Started by Dave Smreker, June 15, 2019, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Smreker

Good evening all,
I just acquired a 72 Mudlark/Wassell.
Only thing missing is the Chain Guard.
I have been looking hard to find one with no luck.  If anyone would like to sale theirs  please contact me. If anyone is willing to loan me theirs would also be appreciated. I would make template from that and send it right back and fabricate one. Thanks in advance hope someone out there can direct me.

Also was there a square front number plate on that bike?  Seen pics with and without.

Dale Fisher

The Penton Mudlark and Wassell Antelope brochures both show a white oval front number board.  Other Wassell information shows a rectangular trials front plate.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships - POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Bob Gilman

I have 72,It has an oval front number plate with made in England and W.E Wassell on the top of it.

Dave Smreker

Thanks Bob and Dale. Bob on yours is it polished aluminum?  Dale is that what you saw as well? Polished Alumium front plate. I see one sold at a Mecum auction square aluminum a few years back. Restored. OEM. Not sure?

Dale with your experience is there anyway to get more information regarding  chain guard?

Bob Gilman

Dave,No it is white plastic.

Dave Smreker

Thanks Bob,
I found a Aluminum front oval one. Needs restored. It was painted white. Going to blast with Walnut and polish it with mother's alum polish. We will see how it turns out?

lee loveless

Have you tried Speed & Spot for chain guard.I bought one there several years ago.  Lee Loveless

lee loveless

Post should be Speed & sport  Lee Loveless

Cal Alexander

I checked with Matt at Speed and Sport (California) about two years ago and the chain guards were long gone. Matt tried to sell his remaining Wassell parts on eBay about that same time but was unsuccessful. I bought his NOS Wassell spoke inventory and have a few sets remaining if anyone is looking for those. Matt has some odds n ends remaining for the Wassell but not much is left. Dave if you need any help drop me an email as we restored five of the Penton Trials over the past few years.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Dave Smreker

Thanks Lee and Cal. I have purchased three styles of chain guards. With that in mind I was hoping to rough fabricate one. By filling in the blanks for say in between. Then build one as finished product from scratch. I do have some good pictures from a Mecum auction where one sold two years ago that I was able to blow up pic at chain guard for better look. Challenging for me but will try. But not giving up looking for OEM.  Appreciate you guys helping the research.