Shock Length for Six Day

Started by holeshothawk3, August 02, 2019, 02:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holeshothawk3

Hi all,
   I'm looking to pick up a set of new shocks for my 1972 Six Day. I will be racing a few vintage cross country events with it. What lengths and brands are everyone using. I've been looking into Ohlins and Ikon. Any info will help!
Thanks

Carl Hill

I believe they came with something like 12&3/4" from the factory. I have13.5 on my hare scrambler which work OK but does have a bit of a "stink bug" feel to it. I think if I were buying new shocks I would likely go with 13.

Dale Fisher

13" Progressive series 12 are a good choice for something close to period correct in appearance.  They also don't bust a budget at somewhere around $250-ish a pair.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships - POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

holeshothawk3

I'm a pretty aggressive "B" rider. I've heard the progressives will fade in a race situation. Is this true?

Carl Hill

I have never tried progressive so I can't speak good or bad to them. Most all those old style shocks will fade if pushed hard enough. I have run Hagon, Koni, and gas Girliing. I would say I prefer the Koni shocks. Ikon is "supposed " to be the same. If you end up going that route give us a report on how they perform.

holeshothawk3

I'm a pretty aggressive "B" rider. I've heard the progressives will fade in a race situation. Is this true?

Larry Perkins

I do not believe you will see that much fading with Progressives.  They are a freon cell shock and are the same as the old S&W shocks.  They are a real good buy for the money.  The only real drawback is they are not rebuildable but have gotten as much as 3 seasons out of them.

Larry P

Dale Fisher

Larry, I'm still riding nine years or so later with the same Progressives that you rode on before selling me the bike.  Although, I don't ride quite as fast....   [:0]:)[8D]:D;)[?]

Dale Fisher
Mudlark Registry
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

Larry Perkins

They are definitely a bargain Dale.  I have slowed a decent amount with age so not sure the fast is true anymore.:D

Larry P

Dale Fisher

Rider does fade though.

Dale Fisher
Mudlark Registry
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry