Clutch cable.

Started by johnborn, August 14, 2019, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnborn

True or false , you can change the clutch cable on a steel tanker WITHOUT removing the side cover.

Larry Perkins

Can but I always struggle with it and generally change oil at the same time and I take the sidecover off to do that instead of using the drain plug.  This was always recommended by Doug Wilford because of the high likelyhood of stripping it with the old motors.  I always try to folllow the advice I got from Doug as I believe he was the foremost Sachs expert in my world.

Larry P

johnborn

Thanks. I thought I had done it before. I went to the museum in Columbus today and tried to change it. It would not come out of the lower lever. It actually looks like someone used a front brake cable on it. I have a new gasket at home. I guess I will have to get it next time I go back. I think maybe the ball on the end of the cable is different and won't let the cable slide out of the lever.

Paul Danik

John, it can be done and isn't that hard to do, usually ! Haven't done one in awhile but here is what I do remember. Take the top of the cable out of the lever and adjusters till it is free from any attachment. Using a pair of needle nose plyers hold the INNER cable firm right where the cable exits the clutch cover while working the lever inside the case upward with a screwdriver. The lever should slide upward enough to allow the end of the cable to come down out of it and then the cable can be maneuvered out of the lever and removed upward and out of the case.

If you have another Sachs powered machine to practice on before heading the Museum again it may help. A CMF machine is the same as far as changing the cable.

If I am not mistaken that was a 57 second procedure while on the trail if you had a tested spare already in place and ready to go with fuel line protecting the ends from dirt and mud :) In the shop it usually took about 20 minutes and a can of Coors. The Penton gang sure liked their Coors. We used to stop on the way back from out west in the Cycleliner and get 20 -25 cases at a time and stash them in the isle. Couldn't buy it east of the Mississippi back then I do believe....just having to "bring it in" seemed to make it taste better...  
Good luck with that cable.
Paul

johnborn

Thanks , Paul. I knew I had done it before. The cable on v003 is a front brake cable with the bracket removed. The ball meat be shaped a little different , and won't come out of the lower lever. I will have to get a gasket and go back to change it.

johnborn

Ii went to Denver in 1976 with 2friends on a weekend run and we're supposed to bring back a case of Coors beer for a guy. We made it back but the beer did not.

johnborn

Paul, I will send you a picture of the clutch cable on v003.

Paul Danik

John,

Is the cable broke on V-003 ? If not keep in mind that if you want to remove the sidecover to swap cables let the existing cable hooked up and after the case screws are removed you can simply pull on the clutch lever to pop the clutch cover away from the engine cases. If you lay the bike over on the right side/ ignition cover down, you won't lose the oil.

Paul

johnborn

The cable is not broken. It is not the right cable. Instead of the bushing and rubber boot on the lower end, it has a cable adjuster like on a front brake cable. I will send a picture via email.