Primer Needed?

Started by crheeterman, December 03, 2019, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crheeterman

Just finished fiberglass repairs needed for my Jackpiner airbox. Have the Rustoleum "Ocean Blue" spray and have sanded/roughed up the the entire surface of the box. Will a couple coats of paint do or should I put some kind of primer coat on first?  

Thanks, Chris H.

crheeterman

Well, I answered my own question! Went ahead and painted the airbox with "Rustoleum - Maui Blue"... no primer. Came out very nice and color is, in my opinion, a closer match than Krylon Blue Ocean. Although problematic (tends to run more than Krylon, nozzle notorious for clogging, but dries faster and it looks very good, feels thicker and harder much like a nice gel-coat. A bit more glossy than my tank but won't matter since it'll be buried under the seat and behind the plates & pipe! Case Closed.

Chris H.

Daniel P. McEntee

Well, you got it finished, but I'll just add that the primer will help with adhesion, and depending on the color of primer you use, white, gray or black, can influence how the color looks. It can fill any pin holes left behind from the manufacturing process also.
   type at you later,
     Dan McEntee