Serial Number

Started by JamesHorwatt, December 29, 2019, 01:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesHorwatt

Good Afternoon everyone, would this serial number "1115172" be 1971 and November.

Thanks

Thanks Jim
Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100
Secretary Penton Owners Group.

KJDonovan

Jim,

Yes that is the build date, but the bike was most likely built for the 72 model year.  Basically, anything with a build date beyond August was generally built for the next model year.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Paul Danik

Jim,

If you go to the serial number list using the link below and scroll down to the 111 build date you will see two others listed that may have rode down the assembly line with yours. 11151860 and 11152040.

http://www.pentonusa.org/prodyears/framenumber.asp

One of the craziest frame number stories I ever heard was told to me by Jack Penton. If my facts are correct, Jack still has what I think was his last personal Penton race bike from days gone by. One day not to many years ago a friend of his Dad brought a similar machine to Pentonville for John to have and it was put away in one of their buildings.

For some reason Jack got to wondering what the serial number was on the machine in the building compared to the number on his personal machine...turned out they are consecutive numbers.

40 or more years ago they were built together, then they rode across the pond together in a shipping container and surely led much different lives, and by chance they are now back together.

And they say it is amazing how animals can find their owners when they get separated....:D

Paul

JamesHorwatt

Paul, I made an error on the serial number. Its 11151872. I omitted the "8" so yes the 11151860 is just before mine. very cool...

Thanks Jim
Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100
Secretary Penton Owners Group.