MC5 Transmission

Started by rcrump1, October 09, 2002, 09:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcrump1

I was reading through some old posts and I came across one which stated that some of the MC5 models were sold as 5 speeds when in fact they had all 6 gears. The post went on to say that the "5" speed could be converted to a 6 speed by a minor modification to the shift selector drum. If this is true, could all MC5's be converted to a 6 speed in this manner? What exactly would be involved in the change over?
Thanks in advance for the education.
Richard

Larry Perkins

Richard,

I believe they just pinned out the one gear and pin just needs removing.  I have never done that but if you talk to Bobby Lucas in Texas he can explain it.

Rocket

I would think they would have to have a different shift drum because of the neutral detent.  Not sure on this one.
Rocket

Richard

I can't be sure of all MC5 models that were sold as 5 speeds but when I converted mine in 1976 I only had to install a missing shifting drum pin.    

In addition to the "new first gear" you also get two neutral detents, one between first and second, and the one that was always there, between second and third.

I've forgoten the size of the pin, but I made it out of a drill bit shank and found a good interference fit. The converson is easy, but you do have to split the center cases to get access to the shifter drum.

Mike Lenz

The manuel says if already a 5 speed all you need is to use a shorter bolt that goes in the clutch housing and it will allow the shift drum to rotate into first. TO go from 6 to 5  gears the cases need split and a longer pin needs installed in the shift drum that when used with the longer bolt through the clucth piece blockes the shift drum from going into first. Its outlined in a service manual I have if anyone is interested I can copy. I dont think John Penton ever imported any 5 speeds though. Ive been waiting for my moters to need work and I am going to make them 5 speeds which will make proper mx gearing possible and eliminate the neturl between second and third which causes missed shifts once in a while in the heat of battle. If your looking for a 6 speed shift drum I would gladly trade for a 5 speed one if you have one.