Worx Shocks Advice for 1972 Six Day 125

Started by johnbowman, December 06, 2019, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbowman

I just called Tim at Worx Shocks (Formerly Works Performance) to ask about a pair of shocks for my 1972 Six Day 125 AHRMA cross country project. He said that a new pair of shocks would be $559 + shipping. Based on their past reputation and talking with Tim, it sounds like they would be very good quality.

Has anyone bought shocks from them since they reopened? How was your experience? If you got a set for the six day, would you mind sharing the dimensions/specs?

At this point, I will have replaced almost everything on the bike. Looks like I might have to go the new route with shocks, too.

johnbowman

I have decided to go with the Worx shocks. I called them today with the specs. Here's what I'm doing. This is for use in AHRMA Cross Country. Please let me know if I'm way off base.

Measurements
Swingarm to Top Shock Mount - 16.25 inches
Swingarm to Bottom Shock Mount (Center Hole) - 16.00 inches
Swingarm to normal axle position - 18.75 inches

Rear wheel travel limit - 4 inches

Shock length - ordered 13.25 inches (OEM length 13 inches). I will run 35mm forks from a later model Six Day. I read that someone had a problem with 13.50 inch shocks on a 1972 model because of the sidestand position. I'm hoping to get away with 13.25.

Springs are a whole different issue. I went with the dual spring shocks. I told them an extra 20 pounds on weight because I heard that they tend to underspring them.

Any advice? I can call to change the order for the next two weeks.

Thanks,

John

johnbowman

Does anyone know if 2.5 inch wide shocks will be a problem? Tim from Worx just called to ask me. He wanted to make sure that they would clear the chain.

tooclose racing

John - I can check the width on the WPs mounted on my Jackpiner (that I moved over from my Six Day...). but was curious as to where this "width" measurement is being taken - spring/collar width I would imagine.

Great to see you are excited and moving forward.  Interesting to hear that WORX is building shocks again for vintage apps - just about all of them are made with the dual spring set-up.  And I didn't use the kickstand so I wasn't concerned about going with 13.5". I liked the sharper turning they provide (although that could be my imagination).

Bob Close

johnbowman

Bob,

Thanks for the help! Yes, it's the spring/collar area that I need the measurement for. Basically, if your works performance shocks are 2.5 inches wide and they work on your Six Day, I should be okay. I seem to remember Dwight Rudder posting about this. I just can't find the post again.

I almost went with the 13.5 length, but I read somewhere that it would interfere with the brake or side stand. I don't plan on leaving the kickstand on during races. If the 13.5 works better, I can still change the order. This is where the depth of knowledge here comes in handy.

John

Quotequote:Originally posted by tooclose racing

John - I can check the width on the WPs mounted on my Jackpiner (that I moved over from my Six Day...). but was curious as to where this "width" measurement is being taken - spring/collar width I would imagine.

Great to see you are excited and moving forward.  Interesting to hear that WORX is building shocks again for vintage apps - just about all of them are made with the dual spring set-up.  And I didn't use the kickstand so I wasn't concerned about going with 13.5". I liked the sharper turning they provide (although that could be my imagination).

Bob Close

tooclose racing

I confirmed my shocks are 13.5, but it's the diameter of the collar/ spring that is confounding me - and I'm an engineer! My less than precise measuring suggests it might be 2.375 wide (2-3/8) and my 75 YZ125B is the same. Clearance to chain is less than a 1/4 on both bikes so I can see why this is critical.  My MC5 WPs would appear to have the wider 2.5 diameter collars, but I've used these on the Jackpiner when I bent a shaft on one of the shocks one summer, so...my tape measure around spring circumference could be dubious..

1) Someone else on the forum might be wiser, because I will confess I was not asked this question with both of my Penton WP shock builds; 2) maybe I would ask the Worx shock builder if they build them with smaller OD springs/collars than the 2.5? If he says NO, then this was all a figment of my pigment!!  

Sigh...(Some fellow POGGERS will laugh if they remember what kind of engineering I am responsible for.  Very scary - guess that is why I'm retiring in about 7 more working days)

johnbowman

Bob,

Thanks for the info. From everything that I have read, the shocks should be 2.5 inches. So, that would make sense.

Congrats on the retirement. I still have a long, long way to go. I'll keep paying in to social security to help all you guys.

Once again, thanks.

John

Quotequote:Originally posted by tooclose racing

I confirmed my shocks are 13.5, but it's the diameter of the collar/ spring that is confounding me - and I'm an engineer! My less than precise measuring suggests it might be 2.375 wide (2-3/8) and my 75 YZ125B is the same. Clearance to chain is less than a 1/4 on both bikes so I can see why this is critical.  My MC5 WPs would appear to have the wider 2.5 diameter collars, but I've used these on the Jackpiner when I bent a shaft on one of the shocks one summer, so...my tape measure around spring circumference could be dubious..

1) Someone else on the forum might be wiser, because I will confess I was not asked this question with both of my Penton WP shock builds; 2) maybe I would ask the Worx shock builder if they build them with smaller OD springs/collars than the 2.5? If he says NO, then this was all a figment of my pigment!!  

Sigh...(Some fellow POGGERS will laugh if they remember what kind of engineering I am responsible for.  Very scary - guess that is why I'm retiring in about 7 more working days)