Mint 400 Restoration

Started by Cal Alexander, December 17, 2019, 01:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal Alexander

I'm currently working on restoring a nice 74 1/2 Mint 400 that I purchased a few years ago from Victor Monz. Victor said it is a one owner bike out of Washington State. The bike is complete, still runs, is mostly original and came with an NOS MX tank that is signed by John. The side panels on the bike are not original however. They are one off aluminum reproductions and have a few issues. I'm thinking I will replace them and try to get the bike back as close to original as possible.

For you Mint 400 experts out there, what are the best options for correct side panels?

Thanks for any help / advice.

75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Normandy10

I could use a set for a 1976, as well.

Mike
Mike

Timothy Walls

So I'm restoring a 1975 400 and found side panels for it at DC Plastics . They have them for both before 75 and after . They match my old worn out and broken ones perfect . White matches my new Preston Petty fenders . They also have other colores . Just wish they had included the yellow number plates into them . I might take them to a vinal wrap place to see if they can add the yellow number plate .

Timothy Walls
Timothy Walls

Normandy10

So can either of you provide a photo or info on the cylinder compression release? The bike I just bought had one that was missing pieces and is broken off down inside the port but n the back of the cylinder so there appears no way to remove it. I only weigh about 155lbs so barely have enough ass to kick start it. Have not been able to find any info on it.

Mike
Mike

johnacapp

Timothy Walls,
FYI DG Plastics also sell Yellow Oval decals in sets of 3.
The ones I got from them worked well and where reasonable priced, you might want to check it out before you try to get wrapped?

John Capp
John Capp

Timothy Walls

The left panel looks impossable to install a decal over ( and look nice ) with all the bends in the plastic  ?

Timothy Walls
Timothy Walls

rob w

As far as the LH side panel made by DC Plastics - not only are the angles wrong, so it does not match the triangular shape of the air box, and not seal. Also if you tighten the screws down enough, the plastic will crack. Their RH side panel can work, and their fenders are okay. But plastic is the wrong material for the LH side panel.

I always / really liked the fiberglass side panels that Tom Brosius made. Unfortunately I don't know of any fiberglass repro's made any longer.

Think Roberto's aluminum LH side panels are the best way to go there.
Roberto's aluminum RH side panels - MX model without the wave near the front screw are great.... Enduro model with the wave / made for big fat enduro pipes, my opinion is the heat shield over the exhaust protrudes out too much, like around 5".

Normandy10

Can you please provide contact info for Roberto re: aluminum side panels?

Thanks

Mike
Mike

Cal Alexander

Rob, thanks for the note. I'm not big on the DC plastics variation either. The pipe never fits correctly on the right side. Wishing that I had another pair of Tom's fiberglass reproductions, they look and work great on my 75 MC250. I will look into Roberto's metal version. Probably the best option to go with at this point. Thanks for the recommendation.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

KJDonovan

I still have one of Tom B's right side fiberglass repops in stock.  I will snap a photo of it this morning and send to you Cal.  Take a look and let me know if it is what you need.  I prefer the aluminum ones from Roberto and have been using them.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Cal Alexander

Many Thanks to Kevin for the Fiberglass side Panel.  [8D]
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Timothy Walls

So I was able to take my DC plastic side panels and had them vinal wraped in gloss Yellow . Right side panel was a piece of cake - left side Just as I thought  - he said it took him 1.5 hr. to do . Tip : if you take yours to have wraped print out a pic. for what you want it to look like . I had showen him pic.s on my phone and some adjustments had to be made at pickup . $75. to have wraped .

Timothy Walls
Timothy Walls