76 400 Cross Country Parts and Info

Started by Normandy10, September 07, 2019, 06:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normandy10

Looking for parts to get the compression release working, and to install brake lights on 1976 400 Cross Country 6 speed. Looks like part of the compression release body is still screwed into the cylinder,  but it just swivels, does not seem to unscrew. I know it is closed as the motor has great compression. Also, no apparent place to connect a cable, which is also gone. It has the headlight and tail light with a license plate mount, with batteryless ignition, and trying to get it street legal again. Looks like it was in the past. Any info would be most appreciated.

Mike
Mike

Keith May

Mike, the decompressor body is rigid mounted to the cylinder, it screws in to threads with a copper seal ring. What is swiveling is the actuator part. The cable attaches to the actuator and pushes the center "valve" inwards off the seat, very similar to a valve on a four stroke head. There is a spring that reseats the valve when the cable is released. Without seeing what you have it's difficult to determine what you may have for cable attachment. Try to visualize how a cable can be attached to push in on that decompressor actuator. Sorry I can't send you a picture of mine as I'm out of town and won't be home for several weeks. Maybe someone else can find a pic to help out.
The decompressor body is screwed in to the back of the cylinder with the hex head near the base of the decompressor body, pretty difficult to access.

Normandy10

Thanks for the reply and info, pretty much what I thought from looking at it. Everything from the hex body of the actuator out is gone, and it looks like the valve stem is cut or broken and bent enough to keep that piece from coming off. If I could attach a picture it would help explain, but I can't see how to do that here. Looks like I need the actuator hardware and cable, and maybe a new valve plunger. Any ideas of where I might find the missing parts or a complete assembly? Really appreciate your info.

Mike
Mike

SouthRider

I don't recall these ever being supplied/installed by Penton or KTM - so what you probably have is an aftermarket release. If that is true then getting replacement parts will be next to impossible. Best bet is to find a new complete kit somewhere and start from scratch with a clean installation.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

SouthRider

Original brake light switch was an Italian spring loaded black plastic device with a plunger bolted to the frame near the countershaft sprocket and attached to the brake pedal by a spring. Probably find one new on ebay - bet they are still being used new in some applications.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

Larry Perkins

It was actually a grey plastic body not that it functions any different.

Larry P

KJDonovan

These work fine, use them on lots of bikes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/252977375749

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Berkshire
74 Hare Scrambler

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Normandy10

Thanks to all for the help and info.

South, regarding the compression release, it is factory, as a friend in South Florida has an owners manual from 1977 for 175, 250 and 400 that shows it in the 400 IPB and gives the factory part numbers, but gives no details. The problem is finding more detail and parts. It seems they were a bit unusual though, as he worked at the dealer back then doing delivery assembly and repairs and did not recall it until he looked in the manual.

Mike
Mike

Toolsurfer

Saw on one Ebay not long ago. I've had a couple in my day and did not like them. People use them as a motor brake. problem with that is , dust etc get sucked into your cylinder. Keep a eye on Ebay and one will show up.

Keith May

Hi Mike,
I don't know if you are still looking for a decompressor for your 400 but there is one on EBAY. It is installed in a used cylinder. You might be able to talk the guy out of it separately.  It is listed as "1976 KTM MC5 400 GS AHRMA Vintage Cylinder Head Barrel JUG". It is a little rusty but it probably could be cleaned up. I lapped mine with fine lapping paste and it came out good. These things don't come up very often!
Good Luck,
Keith