74 1/2 air filter

Started by Toolsurfer, January 27, 2020, 08:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toolsurfer

My 250 had a Twin Air filter and it just decayed and fell to pieces . Replaced with a Uni filter. Just wanted some input on members experience with these filter . Thanks William

Larry Perkins

They are fine but I believe the twin air is better.

Larry P

Toolsurfer

Thanks Larry , I found Twin Air at DC Plastics after my purchase of Uni Filter . I'll live with it for now .  By the way what do use on your filter for treatment?

Larry Perkins

skiracer

Be mindful of the seams.  I had two of them separate. I couldn't find a Twin Air at the time. I have used Twin Air in my Mc-5 since it was new.  Keep the Uni as a spare, and buy the best.....

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Toolsurfer

Appreciate the feedback guys . Thanks William

Bill Campbell

I use Twin Air as much as possible on all my bikes. I am convinced they are a better filter than Uni. My biggest problem was using No Toil filter oil. I just could not stop the filter sticking to the air box especially on the MC5 magnesium ones and I have 3. I also used the NT grease but no avail. I would have the filter stick to the air box so muck that it would tear when you went to get it out. I finally went toMotorex spray on oil and have had no probs for a couple of years

skiracer

Bill, I too have had that problem with my MC 5 air box.  When I  bought the bike in 76, I had concerns with the small area (around 10:00) where the filter barely has much surface area to seal, so I made a disc with a 2.5" hole in the middle out of 24ga. metal.  It helps, but, my filters stick to that too.  Doesn't seem to be a problem in my XC fiberglass air box. I'll have to try that oil, thanks!

Quotequote:Originally posted by BILL CAMPBELL

I use Twin Air as much as possible on all my bikes. I am convinced they are a better filter than Uni. My biggest problem was using No Toil filter oil. I just could not stop the filter sticking to the air box especially on the MC5 magnesium ones and I have 3. I also used the NT grease but no avail. I would have the filter stick to the air box so muck that it would tear when you went to get it out. I finally went toMotorex spray on oil and have had no probs for a couple of years

1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Bill Campbell

Cheers Ski. I understand what you are saying. I've added a bit of foam in the area and thinking about it you don't have to tighten the nut up too tight. As for older fibreglass air boxes it is ok but still need filter grease. I also find the filters a little tight on the later plastic retaining frames. With the Motorex oil you also get a filter cleaning liquid that is pretty good