White Lightning

Started by skiracer, March 25, 2020, 07:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

I know it is kind of late to be reporting on a race that took place 10 days ago, well get over it, I was busy...  So, as usual,it was an amazing weekend.  For anyone who has not been to this race, you are missing out on one of the best that the AHRMA series has to offer. The race is held near Union, S.C. where the National GNCC and National Enduro are held.  For the past few years it has been held on the property owned by Randy Hawkins and his family.  Perfect terrain for a XC race.  Lots of elevation changes, fields, flowing pine forest trails, and no rocks!  The course layout is one that forces you to think as you are riding.  This is not just a go round and round for and hour.  With ever changing lines each lap one must be at the top of their game to do well. Being the first race of the series,the turnout was great.  In the Vintage classes Saturday had 46 starters with 4 Pentons.  Sunday had 30 riders and 3 Pentons.  In the Post Vintage classes there were 67 starters Saturday with 1 Penton, and Sunday had 42 starters and again 1 Penton. Hats off to Al and Greg for doing such a great event year after year. This race surely should be on your bucket list if you really enjoy a quality event.  As for my personal race, I had a lot of fun.  I am back riding my 76 175 XC.  Excellent starts both days; 3rd and 2nd into to woods, and went backwards from there.  Even though I rode pretty slow, I enjoyed my rides and the opportunity to see so many old and new friends.  The two highlights to my weekend was winning the "Cool Bike Award" for the Post Vintage class, and getting stuck in a rut like you see in the highlight reels!  I saw the rut, tried to go to the inside, but the bike slid into it.  How stuck you ask?  Well I couldn't see the front axle, and the back fender was about 2" above the ground.  If not for Dave Brown stopping to help me I would still be there!  With all that is going on with the virus, timing was everything in getting this race done. Hope to see more new faces next year.  

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

250auto

This was my first Ahrma race and I have to say it was the most fun I have had at a event. Great trail, very well run. It was like being at a vintage bike show but racing, way cool. First time out on my 74.5 hare scrambler, what a great bike but I also got stuck up to my rear fender and broke my silencer mount so didn't get to run Sunday. That and running with the stock foot pegs (those are not so good) made me decide to help score on Sunday . If you haven't tired one of these you are missing out.

1975 250 harescambler
1980 250auto wr
and a bunch of others
1975 250 harescambler
1980 250auto wr
and a bunch of others