Jack's last Penton

Started by Toolsurfer, February 18, 2020, 08:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toolsurfer

The Man from Mars , I would like to see some photos of Jack Penton current bike that he rides . I think it was a 1977 250 GS maybe . I am a 250 guy and would just like to see details of that machine and see some of his past tweeks . Maybe somebody close to family can get some detail pictures for us to ponder over . Would be sweet for us Hare Scrambler Guys. Just stuck in the 70's . Toolsurfer

Mike Schulz

I am currently building an unauthorized "Jack Penton replica" 77 GS6 250. The differences from a stock 77 GS6 250 that I can see are:
Carl Cranke ported cylinder with the corners of the barrel fins cut off.
Modified MC5 pipe with removeable Super Trapp discs on the "silencer".
Orange Preston Petty MX front fender and orange enduro rear fender.
Axles have their pull bars extended or pushed half way through so they can be pulled on evenly and are painted orange.
Chain adjuster welded to wheel spacer and removeable as one unit.
Lectron carburetor option.
ISDT Magura levers and adjusters.
Yellow Preston Petty headlight/number plate.
Unknown rear shocks with red and blue springs.
Unknown black hand guards.
Wide tunnel orange MX tank for GS frame.
Modified foot pegs.
I believe that Gary Roach has worked on this bike.
These are all notes from pictures taken years ago, so his bike as it sits today may have changed.
Mike Schulz

Toolsurfer

Thanks guys, just like to get into the nuts and bolts and prep of this time period with a good competitor . William

hrbay

Mike. I think those rear shocks were Works Performance, I can see a fatter retainer ring on the spring stack than the Boge or Fox'es used. Don't see a crossover ring between the spring sets tho' but none of the pics were close up. I worked for Gilles Vaillencourt and his dad back in the late 70's. Went back and looked closer at those and did see the crossovers and the split rings, I have a set just like them not red white and blue just white and blue.

GC
GC

Toolsurfer

Wish we could get Jack to chime in and give us a through run down on his machine . Good history lesson on technical mods that were unique and successful when he was at the top of his game. Always interesting innovation from nuts to bolts from a top competitor. Thanks as always William  ( everyone stay safe , amen )