Team Penton circled the bases, 1973

Started by Paul Danik, March 27, 2020, 09:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

Listening to the folks lamenting that opening day of the baseball season was postponed remined me of the time that Team Penton hit the field at the Trask Mountain ISDT Qualifier in 1973.

The Trask Mountain event was headquartered at a local park which had a baseball field on the grounds. We arrived in the Cycleliner and got everything set up and it soon became apparent that a set of wheels would be nice to have to get around in. Somehow we ended up at a used car dealership and a deal was struck for us to buy a clunker that upon return with no damage, and still running, would be bought back, with a small profit to the dealer.I do believe that a well connected local gal had a part in us getting the deal :) Team Penton now had a Pentonmobile.

As the day progressed and evening approached, the idea of piling into the car and heading to dinner came up and soon enough the car was overflowing with hungry folks. I don't remember much about the dinner,
but I do remember returning to the park after dark, with Carl Cranke at the wheel. I was in the back seat with what seemed like 5 other folks...

Carl, being the adventuress sort of guy that he is, and one who knows an opportunity when he sees it, took it upon himself to give us all a few laps around the bases of the baseball field in the Pentonmobile. As Carl was circling the bases the dust enveloping the car suddenly became quite colorful, thanks to the effect of the local police with lights flashing arriving. Soon we were all out of the car somewhere around second base. Fortunately for us, the well connected local gal, who helped us in getting the Pentonmobile, came to rescue once again and no jail time was served or fines paid.

As the weekends event came to a close and we loaded the Cycleliner  and got ready to head to the Bad Rock Qualifier taking place the next weekend, the Pentonmobile was returned to the local car dealer who fulfilled his promise to buy the car back.

Much thanks is due to the well connected local gal who was much help that weekend, and of course to Carl Cranke, the always adventurous Team Penton member who provided us with a very special
homerun of a memory. I have a few photos of that car with a number of us sitting on the roof of it and will try to find it. If I remember correctly Danny Young, Joe Barker, Tom Penton, Jack, Dane and myself are in the photo, along with the well connected local gal :)

Paul

Pat Oshaughnessy

Great story Paul. I love to read about that. Do you remember if you came to the Rawhide Nat. Champ. Enduro at Hawthone Nevada in 1971? I couldnt believe The Pentonliner was there. I didnt get to meet any of the Penton team . I remember one of the Penton boys won the 125 A class. I think maybe Jack . It was the first time I ever rode in deep sand. I seized up my poor old iron barrel Sachs 2 times! & scared myself with a high speed fifth gear front wheel whellie!. Talk about a learning experience! I decided that desert racing was not for me! I remember silencers were optional. I took mine off. BIG MISTAKE! They had free beer in a keg at the finish line for finishers. First & last Time I ever saw that. I got my share! I still have the finisher pin. I learned how ride sand in 1 day. I still dont like sand to this day.[:p]

Paul Danik

Hi Pat,

No, I didn't ride that event. As a matter of fact the trip to Oregon to ride the Trask Mountain and Bad Rock events in 1973 was my first trip out west.

I remember like it was yesterday talking with Jack as he drove the Cycleliner thru the night on the way out west and telling him I was a bit nervous about riding the west coast events. He asked why and I replied that many of the great riders that I have read about over the years are from the west and will be competing in the events. His reply was short and to the point, "they all put their pants on one leg at a time" !

Not long after that exchange Jack asked if I would take the wheel which I did. In short order warning signs of a long and steep downgrade began to appear along the interstate with special warnings to truckers about their air brakes, which we had as well. As Jack provided some advice on how to not use up the airbrakes, basically try not to use them, I noticed that Dane and I think Tom had slid down from their bunks to get a better view of the goings on. The downgrade was a long one and fairly steep, and soon enough it was in our rear view mirror. It didn't take long for me to realize that it wasn't by accident that Jack passed the wheel to me at the time :)

A similar situation presented it self just a few years back. Jack, John and I traveled together to the York event which was a great success. We traveled two lane roads on the way out to visit a number of interesting locations but took the Pa. Turnpike home. When we left York Jack drove the first leg and soon enough asked if I would take the wheel. Jack and I both have driven the Pa. Pike many times and know it like the back of our hands, I knew instantly when he asked me to drive that the long flat section of the pike was coming to an end and the mountains and tunnels lay ahead. I never said anything but as I drove thru the night my mind took me back to that trip in the Cycleliner in 1973 and that long steep downhill. Fortunately we no longer had airbrakes to worry about and with JP riding shotgun he provided my entertainment with his stories of running the Pa. Pike many times over the years :D

Paul

Mike Rosso

Just before Pendleton, OR on the way to Bad Rock. The Bad Rock event trail/course actually went all the way back and out to Deadman's Pass. Tough event.

thrownchain

Been down and up that grade a few times,  it's quite the sight when you pop out of the trees and the valley opens up in front of you . The grade into Laramie,Wy is also impressive.