Ceriani fork leg coating

Started by Richard Colahan, April 15, 2020, 08:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Colahan

I'm rebuilding a set of 32mm Cerianis. The lower legs on these have some type of semi-clear coating that is in poor condition and needs to be removed. I've tried a number of paint removers and acetone...that stuff doesn't want to come off! Any suggestions???

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

JamesHorwatt

I've come across the same issues on bikes I've restored. I've found about the only thing to strip this clear is vapor blasting or glass bending with low pressure (20-30 psi) with 0000 media. I have tried all sorts of paint stripper, and none even dented it.  Hope this help:)

Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100
Secretary Penton Owners Group.
Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100

Richard Colahan

Yikes! I was hoping for some magic, toxic swill stuff that would take it right off...as well as my flesh if I didn't wear gloves! Thanks for the info...
Quotequote:Originally posted by JamesHorwatt

I've come across the same issues on bikes I've restored. I've found about the only thing to strip this clear is vapor blasting or glass bending with low pressure (20-30 psi) with 0000 media. I have tried all sorts of paint stripper, and none even dented it.  Hope this help:)

Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

slvrbrdfxr

Hi Richard,
I have a vapor blaster and can strip the lower fork legs if you want to ship them to me. I've done items for a few other POG members before and have the time now since I'm taking time off work as a precaution due to the Covid-19. I just cleaned out the blaster this past weekend a refilled with clean water and media. If you would like to see an example of my work just email me at my screen name here and add at cox dot net.
Dave McCullough

Richard Colahan

Well, i did find something that takes off that faded yellowish clear coat...but not the primer layer under it. Spray Brake Cleaner. A bit messy of course. But to get down to the alloy, it looks like the vapor blasting is the ticket...thanks for the advice.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA