WANTED! 35mm CERIANI FORK CAPS SUPER FINE THREADS

Started by Jeff Moore, May 17, 2020, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moore

WANTED 35mm CERIANI FORK CAPS with the SUPER FINE THREADS.  The threads are spaced 1mm apart.
Want two sets because they are soooo easily prone to stipping.

Thanks,

Jeff  (310) 456-8833
[email protected]

Daniel P. McEntee

You should probably be more descriptive on which vintage 35mm Cerianis that you need caps for. The earlier versions had tapered top ends that seated into the upper triple clamp, and they had different threads than the straight top 35mm fork legs. I needed a tapered tube cap a few years ago and found an eBay seller in Europe that produced them, and price was reasonable even with shipping. Do a search on eBay and see what you can find if nothing turns up here.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Jeff Moore

I have both the straight and tapered forks and they use the same 35mm cap with the super fine threads... I think???

Quotequote:Originally posted by Jeff Moore

WANTED 35mm CERIANI FORK CAPS with the SUPER FINE THREADS.  The threads are spaced 1mm apart.
Want two sets because they are soooo easily prone to stipping.

Thanks,

Jeff  (310) 456-8833
[email protected]

Daniel P. McEntee

Better look again, because the two sets that I worked with did not match. The cap starts, but only goes a turn or so before hanging up.I measured the threads with a pitch gauge and found the difference, I just don't remember what they were. Hard to see with the eye. The eBay vendor I mentioned before spells it out in his listing. That may be why you are stripping them.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

I searched and found the thread from where I went through this. I'm going to check some other stuff also.  Check out this thread. I just don't have thread sizes in there as yet.

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18213&SearchTerms=ceriani,fork,cap,threads

Daniel P. McEntee

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NOS-Penton-KTM-Triumph-Front-Fork-Cap-Plug-Top-Bolt-Topper-T2450/122293598799?hash=item1c79443a4f:g:qegAAOSwo4pYXsZf

Try this link to one eBay vendor that you could check out.  These are what you need for taper top fork tubes, and are 1mm thread. The straight top tubes take a shorter cap with 1.25mm threads. I reviewed some old email exchanges between myself, Mike Winter, Larry Perkins and Al Buehner about this. It had a lot of us fooled. I had the set of forks in question that I had fork caps that did not fit. I measured the threads of each and started from there. I had another 250 Penton with taper top forks and took one of those caps off and tried them in the new to me tubes, and it fit. Mike supplied me with the link to the vendor that is in the link above. I found another vendor in England that Larry recommended and he knew what I was talking about, I just don't have that info yet on who that was. One thing I have learned in all of my mechanical endeavors at home and at work with stuff like this, is that if you can't turn it by hand for at least two or three turns, you have threads crossed or the threads don't match. There is very little difference between 1mm and 1.25mm threads and hard to see with the naked eye, ansd a thread gauge helps out a lot in that respect.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee