Do you know what I really miss ?

Started by Paul Danik, September 10, 2020, 02:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

The other evening I was cutting grass at the farm and for some reason I got to thinking about Ed Youngblood and his Motohistory series, and how much I missed Ed's incredible writing style and ability to dive deep into a subject. I just did a quick Google search and one of his articles came up and it is about one of the all time GREATS. Possibly you may enjoy reading it as well.

A belated THANK YOU to Ed Youngblood for doing so much for so long before moving on to other areas where his talents are being put to good use.

https://www.ohvtraining.org/Bill-Uhl-article-motohistory-revised.pdf

I can remember like it was yesterday when POG President Alan Buehner told me that Ed Youngblood had asked be placed on the POG meeting agenda to discuss the possibility of writing a John Penton book. Little did we realize just how significant what transpired that evening at the POG monthly meeting would be. :D

Paul

Tom Penton

Hear! Hear! Paul. I agree wholeheartedly.

I noticed that Ed writes that Bill was on a 125 at the 1973 Bershire US ISDT. I do believe he was top American on a 100cc! Bravo!

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

firstturn

I think Dane was top American in 1971 at his first Six Day on an 100 Penton?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tom Penton

From Ed's article:

"I got the offer to ride the 1969 ISDT in Germany with my Dad. ... Riding with Herb as an unofficial father/son team, Bill earned his first ISDT gold medal at the green age of 18, becoming the youngest U.S. rider to ever win a gold, next to Jeff Smith of England who won his first gold at 17. Only two gold medals were won by Americans that year: Bill Uhl and Malcolm Smith."

That "youngest rider" distinction only lasted a year. Brother Jack won a Gold the next year, 1970 Spain ISDT, at the age of 16.[:p]

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Tom Penton

Ron,

The answer to your question "... was Dane top American in the 1971 ISDT ..." is "Yes and No". I'm working on a story to explain, give me a few days.

Tom Penton
Tom Penton