Pentons at the Corduroy

Started by Richard Colahan, September 22, 2020, 04:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Colahan

Tom Penton...as an old Corduroy Enduro rider (75 to 82)...I enjoyed your recent posting of the 1968 Cord results and the photo of you (as a young pup...) and Leroy Winters. My sense is the Cord was a special event to the Penton family...which they won 9 times. Mike O'Reilly and I are pretty sure that the Cord is the only major 2 day Enduro that was won by all four members of the Penton family. As a 2 time winner, could you take a few minutes and share some of your recollections of the Cord?

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Tom Penton

Richard,

I lifted the following from a previous POG entry:

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8200&SearchTerms=tom,penton,corduroy

11/15/2007

Fellow riders, past & present ...

I've always had a special place in my heart for the Corduroy Enduro and Canada/Canadians. Especially in Autumn I reflect back fondly at that lovely countryside and warm people north of Toronto. I loved the crispness in the air, the wonderful foliage, the fine soil, the winding roads (which way is it going to turn over this rise? ... WHOOPS!) and "somewhat" foreign ambiance.

The Gold Rock Lodge was where it was happening, and my Uncle Ted was at the center of those "happenings" (partying...). Uncle Ted was always glad to add some hoopla to the motorcycling scene when the other of us Pentons might have been too serious about things. And not just motorcycling...well, let's not get into the incident where he got his boat confiscated smuggling beer from Canada across Lake Erie!

I was fortunate to have won the Corduroy twice (with an "*"....see below), but that is not nearly so important as having participated: riding the trails and mixing with the locals.

About the asterisk: My first win was 1973 ... I remember it well because it was the week before the Massachusetts ISDT, the first in the USA. Carl Crank and I decided to ride, whereas many others didn't want to "chance" it (injury) and/or needed the time for preparation for the ISDT. But Carl & I went for it and drove together in a van to Canada. I stayed within range of him throughout the two days but he had me legitimately beat going into the final special test. Well, things were different back then vis-a-vis ISDT type events ... there were a lot of trying different things. This year at the Corduroy they had for the first time I was aware and perhaps the last an OBSERVED TRIALS final special test. So I was able to plunk my trusty 125 Six Days up and down the 5mph course without dabbing. Carl brought is 250 Hare Scrambler (with his renowned cylinder work for that dazzling horsepower, geared up for those open corduroy & gravel roads) to the "starting line" with dread in his eyes: his worst fears realized! And he met his fears ... terribly! The dabs came fast and furious, and his overall win went with them.

Oh, was it a cold ride from the Canadian woods to Massachusetts! Not Fair! That isn't our sport! Our machinery is so wrong for it! It isn't what we've practiced doing! Yes Carl, I agree ... well, some, mostly maybe, but ... like they said back at the Lodge, aren't we supposed take what comes? Well, how about we split this one half & half?

But that isn't what its all about ... it's the good memories of trail and people.

Tom Penton

Oh, and I SO liked the trophies!

Tom Penton
Tom Penton

Richard Colahan

Tom,
Thanks for that back-story on your 1973 Cord adventure! My first trip up was in 1975...the year of your second win. By then they had deep-sixed an observed trial test. The final test on Saturday (day 1) was the timed hill-climb behind the community hockey rink in Haliburton where many of the town-folk turned out to spectate. I have a photo of you there with a 250 Penton that looked like it put together with spare parts found in the shop. Of course...it performed flawlessly. I always wondered...for an event that close to the ISDT would you ride a "spare" as your primary bike was allready being shipped?

And I agree about the trophies...over the years the only ones that I've kept are my Cord "logs" and my one Jackpine cowbell. They will pass to the grand-children...

Thanks again Tom!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA