V984 has a new home

Started by Daniel Desranleau, November 23, 2014, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Desranleau

I picked up V984 from kurt in Maine yesterday and am happy to say it will be a permanent fixture here in Vermont. I have been looking for a Steel Tanker for a while and was lucky to find one within my reach. Its an interesting bike with a mix of parts found on the 68's. I have been reading about the late editions and this bike seems to have usual odd parts. Oblong throttle, 17" chain guard and bent center stand, etc. I have compared it to some in the bikes in the 1000 and 1100 range and it fits.
I love all the fantastic restorations and would love to do this bike over but feel I will keep it as a survivor. They are only original once. It really runs great. Any comments on the Pros and Cons. What could I do to it and still have a survivor?
Thanks.  :D

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/old_bike_rider/library/11-23-2014/Share?sort=3&page=1

Mike OReilly

Congratulations on your new ride!
The conscensus over the years on this forum is that if a bike is not too far gone that preservation trumps restoration. How much preservation vs. restoration is perhaps another question. Or put another way, original vs. just plain beat up.
Clearly the bike is a survivor. No issue that it is probably a better candidate for preservation than restoration. Just how much is up to you.
Given your location in N. Vermont you are probably closer to the Ormstown (QC) Vintage Off-Road Festival than me, Gordon Brennan and a whole lot of other POG'rs. Google it, have a look, and we look forward to seeing you there next year.
Mike

Daniel Desranleau

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the input and help as I have zero background. I think we're a small group up here in Vermont that appreciates Pentons and are working to help preserve them. I now have a few that I've salvaged from around the northeast and am starting to restore a Six Days, still trying to figure out what to do and how. I'm also working on a motor for a rider/racer to hit the trails with.  
V984 is special and I would never repaint the tank even if I restored it; it's just too traditional looking.  I'd find another tank that needed a lot of work and do that over. If anything I was thinking about replacing the wheels and front fender with something used and getting another seat and having it done over. Other than that I think it looks great as is and if I ever wanted to do something different; there it sits! I won't rule out a restoration on a steel tanker, but I doubt it will be this 68'

As far as Quebec goes, I'm about 20 minutes from the border so the trip would be short; I'll check it out.
Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving. Dan.

Steve Minor

Great old bike.....and I love the old sweaty look. When deciding to restore or revive, just remember it can only be original once.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

skiracer

Hey Dan, nice bike!  I have been to the Ormstown event, and it great!  They have a really nice XC layout for Saturday, and a good MX track for Sunday.  The entire event is run around the idea of having fun.  They also have a guest come in for the weekend.  I believe Mick Andrews is coming again this year to teach a trials class on Friday.  If you are that close, it is a nice event to attend.  Just don't forget your passport!!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 GS
1976 Penton 250 GS
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

400gs6

Hey Dan, not sure if you're still active in the world of Pentons but was wondering if you still had the steel tanker I sold you back in 2014?

Kurt in Maine 207 583 5485

KURT FLACHBART
KURT FLACHBART