All choked up

Started by Dave Withrow, February 03, 2001, 11:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Withrow

I have a '74 400 Mint with a 38mm Bing and a '77 400 MC that also has a 38mm Bing but it also has a choke.  The carbs appear identical. Is there an advantage of using one over the other?  Oops, gotta go...the apple pie is about done!

Chris Brown

You'll have to post the pie to get an answer...

Seriously, my 78-400 has the non-choke Bing with the tickler to top off the float bowl. It works great as long as you tickle long enough to over-flow the bowl and then give it 3 or 4 good kicks. I suspect the choke is a little more efficient at richening the mixture for cold starts. I believe it opens a richening circuit in the carb.
Anyone else???

Heinz Raidel

The old Bing "vergassers" look crude by todays' standards, but they work.  Maybe the Bing people knew they needed a richer mixture to start and couldn't decide whether to choke air or enrich fuel so they made a carb that did both.  

The old Bings fire up the old bikes faster and easier at 5 degrees than the Japanese marvels (Kehein PWKs) do on our modern bikes here in the frozen midwest.

And the tickler fascinates the kids who are less than half the age of the old bikes. Who elses' dad has a bike that leaks fuel from the carb when you start it?

\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

Rocket

The Bings that came on the 175 and bigger bikes had a slide that closed off the venturi, that served two purposes in my opinion, one being for cold starts and the other for running down the road with wide open throttle and you could close down on the choke and it would richen the mixture to keep from seizing.  On my 200 KTM, I lean it to the side and let the gas overflow for starting in the cold midwest, acts just like a tickler. I'm not familiar with the bings off of the Sachs motor, I don't know if they had a choke slide or if it had an enriching circuit like the modern carbs.
Rocket

Heinz Raidel

Mr. Rocket, why are you running down the road wide open?   And is the Illinois state law enforcement community invovled?

-Heinz

\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

Rocket

Heinz,
If I remember correctly, the enduro's of the mid 70's didn't have any resets.  Seems like I wasn't always on time coming out of the woods, sometimes not even going in!!!
Rocket