CARL CRANKE PASSES

Started by Larry Perkins, November 14, 2020, 02:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal Alexander

Great comments Al,
Your absolutely right about Carl and his following in the Western US. The west coast Penton riders followed Carl's every move, he was a hero to many and was someone we all wanted to be.
I had the opportunity to speak with Carl at the 50th Anniversary celebration. He was very kind, funny with his quick wit, and generous with his time.
While talking with Carl and sharing some Penton war stories I pointed out the original FMF Hiro that Dale Fisher was restoring. We walked over to the bike and Carl told me the story of the Hiro motor development and his work with Dave Miller to set up the bike. Carl still remembered the cylinder, piston and head setups and talked about the different motor combinations that he and Dave had tried to make the Hiro fly. I felt so fortunate that Carl had taken the time to share this piece of Penton history.
Now just over two years later Carl and Dave both icons of this great period of offload motorcycle history have passed.
Rest in Peace Carl, for we westerners your still the man!
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Mike Rosso

Carl and son on a Dual Sport / adventure ride through the center of Washington state. Mount Adams in the background. A proud father enjoying life is how I will always remember him. Godspeed Carl

(sent to me via text by Carl during the ride)

skiracer

Awesome photo Mike!  Thanks for sharing.....

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa