72/73 Piner - Correct Width Rear Rim

Started by KJDonovan, January 30, 2021, 02:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

Got a question for the folks with 72/73 Jack Piners - I am in the process of building another and was looking for a WM2 (Measures 69MM on the outside and 47MM on the inside) mudcatcher style Radelli for it.  What I am trying to determine is what width rear rim these originally came with, WM1 (measures 61MM on the outside) or WM2.

I ask because I thought they came with a WM2 (based on what's on my other JP) and the Six Days and Berkshires all had WM1's, but now I am second guessing myself – mainly because I am finding plenty of 18" WM1's in my parts stash, but no 18" WM2's.

If you're reading this and have an early JP can you measure the width of the back rim and respond to this?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Cal Alexander

Hi Kevin, the rear wheel rim on my 72 Piner project is a WM2 Radelli. It appears to be an original rim but not certain. The Jackpiner swing arm clearance allows for the wider rim and tire in any event. Hope this helps.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Rain Man

Kevin I believe I have an OEM  rim I installed on my 73 JP back in 76.  I'll measure it tomorrow,

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Carl Hill

I have a 36 spoke Sun rim that I am pretty sure came off a Jackpiner. It's WM2

Pat Oshaughnessy

Kevin My J. P. was built in November of 1972.Im 99% sure it has the original back Wheel. It is 2&1/4 inches wide outside to outside. measured with calipers Hope this helps.[:p]

KJDonovan

Thanks for the feedback gents – I *thought* all the JP's came with WM2's, but based on this, it appears some were WM1 and some WM2.  I am now guessing they just used whatever was available.  

Checked the parts manual too and it just says 18" rim without specifying the width.

If anyone comes across an Radaelli 18" WM2 in decent shape they can spare, let me know.  I want to go with the WM2, because I plan on running a 4.50 on this one.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Pat Oshaughnessy

A fresh & crisp 175cc mtr. will pull that 4.50 tire real well![:p]

Rain Man

FWI the 2 Radelli rims I replaced on my 73 Piners back x years ago were WM1.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons