Power Washers

Started by Bob Garner, November 03, 2002, 05:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Garner

I am looking to buy a power washer to clean my bikes. Any experience or reccomendations from Poggers? Hope I am not abusing the forum to ask a non specific related question. But I will wash my Pentons with it.

classof74

I purchased one of those 1400 PSI Karcher units that works pretty well. It's powerful enough to take off most dirt, oil and stickers. :) However, I rode at Carlsbad a few weeks ago and didn't wash the bike until the next day. Had a real hard time removing the Carlsbad clay with the Karcher unit. If you run into a lot of mud, a person might want to consider one of the gas operated units at Home Depot powered by a Honda engine. They get up to 2500-2700 PSI and should cut right through the muck. Be careful with these units though...they are powerful enough to write your name in concrete and will definately strip the paint off your car if you get too close

Doug Wilford

Bob:  If you ever get a chance to see an old Hi-Point Accessorie Catalog you will find that we listed and sold power washers. Using a power washer has it's goods and bads, using caution not to spray direct into intakes,vents, brakes or bearing areas is a start, also remove the air filter or tape the intakes with duct tape. Do not forget to remove duct tape after washing, or rags in the intake.  After power washing a good grease job is reccomended, remove the mag cover and let the mag. air dry. Remove fork boots and dry, remove wheels and dry out brake areas.  After all is dried, greased and reassembled, run the engine and take a little ride applying  enough pressure on the brakes to heat them up for better drying and they won't rust if sitting for a long period of time.   Sounds like alot of work but it is worth it.  Good luck and have fun.