1971 motor rebuild

Started by mmolyneux, November 01, 2002, 01:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmolyneux

just wondeering if anyone knows of a reliable engine rebuilder for 1971 six day motor i belive the motor is in good order but i have let the bike sit for 26 years and i belive the seals let go as when i attempt to start the cyl becomes contaminated with case oil and upon removing the drain plug found the case to be contaminated with fueli have a complete set of gaskets and seals i just do not have the approprete tools pullers locking plates ect. any help on this would be apprciated, approx what would be the cost (can this be done without some of these pullers?) thanks
mike

Rocket

Try Doug Wilford on this site.
Rocket

Mick Milakovic

Doug is an excellent source who has been around a long time, but most people in this hobby tend to do their own work.  I Suggest getting ahold of an old, worthless engine that you could take apart and "practice" on.  That way your first experiences wouldn't damage your valuable Penton project.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
[email protected]
Mick

john durrill

Mike,
 you will need a puller for the mag flywheel. . get one from Larry or Al and one that has both the bosch and motoplat threads on it.
 you will need also a puller ( we made one from a Pitman arm puller we sourced at the local auto parts store) to get the counter shaft sprocket off. a universal flywheel holder will work to hold the flywheel , when taking the nut off and on. both the crankshaft end and the counter shaft end need PROTECTIVE caps on them when you use the puller. Doug is sending me one to copy and we will make up enough for all who want one.
 you can make a clutch hub holder up from an old  clutch friction plate. Remove the old friction material and weld it to  a steel plate with holes drilled to match  the wet side cover. a rag stuffed between the primary gears will usually let you take the  primary gear  nut off.
 To check the tranny and crank shimming you need an accurate depth gauge and a base that will span the cases when doing the measuring. Vernier calipers will work and can be bought for $30 or less.
 You need the flywheel puller , counter shaft sprocket puller  and the PROTECIVE caps no matter what you do. Either sending it to Doug, or trying it your self.
 Both counter shaft nut and flywheel nut are left hand thread!!!!!
 If you dont plan to do sachs engines often. you might be better off send it to Doug.
 He will have  checked it out for damage and wear and give it back with the shifter adjusted right.
Hope this will help some.
John D.

mmolyneux

thanks for all your help
mike

john durrill

Someone asked for a soure for a universal flywheel puller. all i have been able to find so far is the kind made from vice grips, with a special set of jaws. anyone have any experiance with this type?
 i use an old set that has pins welded at 90 deg to the handle . one side pivots to adjust to different flywheels.
John

Edited by - john durrill on 11/06/2002  10:45:51 AM