Grandpas old Sachs

Started by Bebeebrain, May 14, 2022, 02:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebeebrain

Sorry ahead of time for the long post I'm kinda excited to share. Back in 1970 my grandpa purchased a brand new Sachs boondocker enduro 125. He raced it until 1972 when my aunt was born, the last race earning him a last place trophy haha. After that last race he never rode it again. It has about 950 on the odometer. About 10 years ago he gave it to my father. 5 years ago my grandpa passed and 3 ago my father with him. The bike became mine and with blessings from grandma I tore it apart. I spent a few hours polishing the chrome (other than the wheels, which are in sorry shape). I took apart and cleaned the carburetor, changed out the completely stuck brake and clutch cables, pulled apart the speedo gearing which the cable was broken on the gear end, and took apart brakes and bearings to get back into working order. The electrical components had all been torn off, apart, and kinda chopped up. Along with that the magneto had been burned out. I couldn't find anyone nearby who would re wind it and I wanted it to be 12 volt, after searching a bunch on the internet I found a vape dynamo to replace it and turn it 12 volt with all the power I'd ever need. It was expensive but I put it on gave it a few kicks and brrrapp it runs! But the clutch was inoperable  :(. Sooo I open the gearbox back up find that the clutch just won't move. I take it apart, finding that the gears are quite sharp haha hands are very torn up. I found the clutch plates had all stuck together from age, peeled them apart cleaned up the metal plates put it back together and started the painstaking process of putting it back on the bike, any tips to make that easier?? After getting it back together I set the clutch to what I thought was close started it up and what do you know it goes down the road. I've got new tires to put on and will be ordering light bulbs and stuff soon. I've created some leather items for it such as shifter and kick start wrap, hand grips, and wrapped the foot pegs. I think they turned out nice enough and plan on a saddle bag.

Does anyone know where to get a new speedo cable?? Does anyone near Arkansas have any wheels? I'd be interested in getting them in the future. Also I would really like someone to share how the wires go in the headlight bucket I really need help with that please. I'll post some pictures as I keep getting it cleaned up and put together if you guys are interested.

Thanks for letting me join! -Willem