1978 KTM MC5 400 Sold!

Started by Danny.Metz, February 17, 2023, 03:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny.Metz

Okay, where do I start?  I have been a member here since the early 2000's, but have not been active in a very long time.  I have a 78 KTM MC5 400 I would like to sell.  I acquired this bike in kit form in the late 90's.  The fellow I got it from completely dismantled it with the intention of restoring it.  That never happened, and I got it in a box.  A large box...  The only two components still bolted together were the engine and frame.  I took the engine out of the frame and stripped the frame to bare metal and painted it.  Since I had it completely apart, every component was checked out and replaced as necessary. This includes bearings, bushings, brake shoes cables, etc.  I rebuilt the bike to ride, so did not concern myself with originality.  With a lot of help from Barry Higgins, Alan Beuhner and others I got it back together and had many great rides.  The only parts I never had apart are the engine and trans.  Both worked beautifully, so why mess with success?  I was in a car accident in January 2002 and have not ridden it since. After the accident, I drained the fuel and stored the bike in my basement.  Ten years ago I had a friend repaint the tank and side panels, but hate to say he did a poor job.  He used basecoat/clearcoat and there were runs in the clearcoat.  I buffed most of them out, but managed to cut into the primer in a few places.  The bike looks great from 5 feet.  I want to sell this bike, but have no idea of its value.  It has great compression and good spark, but has not had fuel in it in 20 years.  I replaced the fuel lines if someone wants to start it.  I popped the bowl off the carb, and it is really clean.  I did replace the ignition system around 2000 and have the original ignition and flywheel.  The bike had Bilstein shocks on it when I got it and they go with the bike if anyone wants them.  The Preston Petty front fender that came with the bike is so brittle it is falling apart. So, where do I start?  I have many pictures and will try to attach a few.  The bike is in Anderson, SC. I have many more  pics if you are interested.  So, what is it worth?   Thanks!  Danny

Danny.Metz

I maxxed out my limit on pics in the first post and cannot figure out how to add more?  But the frame number is 855 08843, and the engine number is 8-5506648.  Thanks! Danny

Rain Man

Wow that bikes in fantastic OEM condition !! I know how to get the ball rolling with this group. Tell them how much you think your bikes worth!!
4K, is probably the high end in California? But I live in Maine, so being there's so many dirt riders up here because of the great trail networks... None!! 
$2800 US dollars
Next

Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Danny.Metz

Thank you Rain Man! I came here because I did not have a good feel for its value.  But that said, $2k sounds like a good number.  I forgot to mention I rebuilt the front forks as well with all new seals.  But that was 20 years ago.  The good news is the bike is complete minus the front fender and the air filter that disintegrated.  It has been stored in my basement since I parked it. Danny

Danny.Metz

I should add, I am open to offers, and will be happy to see it go to someone who will put it to use.  I can be reached at (864) 650-3655 or [email protected]. Thanks! Danny