tank resoration

Started by cardojr, November 09, 2002, 08:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cardojr

I'm getting going on my 68 steel tank berkshire -(it was my dad's bike bought used in 70) & could use some advice on a couple of items.The bike sat outside for a few years so it needs the full fix
 1st item is the tank-it reeks horribly and has the interior rustys-can this be boiled out like a radiator or treated in some fashion-also where to find a bayonet cap or should I rechrome?
 2nd item-any recomendations as to tank painting-diy or send out?
 3rd item-- wheels-anyone have the address for the outfit that sells radielli rims? also, should a person use stock or buchanon
spokes
4th-any lines on the following- center stands,front fender brace,tailight, aluminum
fenders, "x" bolt that holds the a/c cover on the cast airbox, & shock shrouds.
When we got the bike the forks had dust covers instead of boots-which is correct?
 Lastly, I believe the engine was kitted up to 150+/- cc-any info on this-was it an aftermarket penton kit or some trick deal using a yamasuki(japanese) piston
I'd like the scoot to look pretty good but it will be abused -- why own them if you can't watch your kids crash them
thanks for the feedback
rob card

rob w

Hi Rob, I will try to help you out as much as I can, but because I am the curious type and I find it very exciting when I hear of a "68", I would like to ask you if you could please give out the frame number of your bike, what if it happens to be one of the first shippment of ten (or was it eight) that came over, anyway, it's always super cool to hear how low the serial number is.

You should get a copy of "Still...Keeping Track" Spring 2002, Issue No. 14. In that there is a GREAT! article by Kip Kern about how to identify the correct parts for each year of the steel tankers, this is a must.

A 68 had full lenght fork boots not wipers.

I am also looking for the most correct fenders for my 1970 restoration, I am going to try some british supply places and Speed and Sport, if I come up with something I will report back, I understand they were aluminum not stainless. I also need feed back on this topic.

I know Karl @ Metalfab has the repro chain guard I'm needing, he is also making center stands but I think they are for later CMF models. ??

The piston thing was discussed in some previous posts on the forum, I can go back and check where those pistons are now, of course when ever you need parts the best thing to do is make a list and give Al Buehner and Larry Perkins a phone call, that eliminates alot of foot work, you'd be surprises what those two still have on the shelf. Chances are they probably won't have the things like a front fender brace.

Wait a minute, cast air box? Shock shrouds? That kind of sounds like a "69" you've got.

Well I'm glad you started this topic , it is giving me the shot I need to start working on my steel tanker. I've got a dozen questions myself. If you need a bike for the kids to crash, consider a XR100.

Thanks Rob, Happy restoring to all.

cardojr

Rob, thanks for the info.
the serial # is "v790"-the bike is complete-the parts I'm looking for will relace damaged parts.I did find Kips article-it helps-this should be a fine winter project.
I will tear down the top end in the next week or 2 to check out the piston etc-will have a better idea then as to whats inside.
Thanks for the offer on the xr. we have one, but the kids have some genetic penchant
for crashing old bikes-1 daugter rides a 125 deek-the other daughter goes between a 72 berkshire & a 250 husky wr and my youngest kid has his eyes on the tyran and wants to learn to trials my Cotton.
I need more space-not less bikes
thanks again, rob

Dwight Rudder

Rob, Please reconsider letting kids trash a rare vintage machine that parts are hard to come by. I have a XR100 or even a KE100 I will part with to help save a Rare Penton.  I cringe at thought of some 14 year old trying to jump and crashing a steel tanker. The gearbox is extremely fragile also. Kids need a 2 to 6 year old thrasher to bash not a bike that should be in a museum .
Cher'o,
Dwight Rudder

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Larry Perkins

I agree with Dwight on the kids riding it but to each his own.  If I were going to do that I don't know if I would spend the money for the rare parts to get it back correct.  The were a decent amount of 68 models though not tons of survivors so they are real collectible.  The "10" mentioned were 67 models.  On the tank use a product called Kreem and follow the directions exactly and the inside will be fixed.  Do this before you paint it.  If you want it to look professional then I advise a pro doing the paint.  Some people can paint like pros but most paint like me and that is not pretty.  There are several sources for the tank decals after the paint.  Al and I both have them and caps if you need them.  I have a couple of used fender braces.  I believe 68's had the fork boots(ours does).  On the fenders and the Radellis Kip Kern can line you out on those but I do have one front Radelli NOS left if interested.  Neither of those items are cheap however.  Spokes and nipples depends on how exact you want it.  The original tailight is a tough one to find but I have the small ones the enduro riders used back then which works and is period if all else fails.  Hope this helps a bit.  Let me know if I can help on any parts.  My e-mail is [email protected] or the janitorial shop phone is (417)865-8884.  Best of luck.

cardojr

ok-you guys win!!!
maybe this is why god made cz's
 Dwight-I'll take your advice to heart-My daughter figured out how to nose-wheelie my scorpa today-scared the heck out of me-no way she's riding the steel tanker!
 Larry-thanks for the info-I will be starting to clean parts next month
and then should have a pretty good handle on what i need-I got a parts book from Al B
so i should be able to give numbers when I'm
ready to order.I will beg for advice at the appropiate times.
By the way, the used crankcase side you sold me a couple of years ago has performed admirably-the 72 berk has had "0" downtime
in 2 seasons of pretty heavy cowtrailing
thanks-rob