78 KTM 400 exhaust

Started by rcrump1, November 20, 2002, 11:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcrump1

The exhaust pipe of the 400 I'm redoing has what looks like a Super Trapp silencer on the end of it. Does anyone know if this set-up was stock on a 78 GS6? If not, what did the stock silencer look like and are there any around.
Thanks again.
Richard

rob w

Richard,
 The stock one I had, had a constant 2 1/4" dia. tube (welded to the pipe as one unit) that started in front of the carb, one bend in it and ran to the rear. So all you saw exposed at the rear was a straight 2 1/4" tube, and a flat removable cap on the end. Hope that helps some.

Steve Minor

Richard, I have a 2 pipes from a 77 400gs6 and 1 pipe from a 78 400mc5....ALL THREE SILENCERS/TIPS ARE DIFFERENT...I know these aren't from the model you are working on, but I'll send you some digital pics this weekend if it will help....

Steve

Steve Minor

rcrump1

Steve;
That would be great. If you want to send them off-list, my e-mail is [email protected]. My pipe looks just like the one Rob is describing except it has the Super Trapp bolted to the end where his has a flat end cap. I am thinking that this may be stock, at least for USA versions, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for your help.
Richard

Steve Minor

Glad to help....I'll also scan 2 sheets from the 77 and 78 parts manuals. That will give you an exploded drawing as a reference. I'll send them this sometime weekend.

Steve

Steve Minor