kill switch help

Started by scooterdude, December 03, 2002, 10:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooterdude

Thanks to Chris and Mike for the answers to my '78 mc5 400 questions but I have one more for you guys. I've wired several kill switches on several different makes of bikes in my day but I always get the yips when I do it. On the 400 that I have there is a batch plug under the tank with several different colored wires. Do I splice into this and what color wire do I use. Help!!!!
Thanks,
Jeff

Dave Withrow

Hi Jeff,
    We've all experienced the "yipes" before.  Probably the most common problem is that you have improper ground in which case YOU become ground.  A good place to start is to make sure you have good metal contact between frame/motor and the coil/frame connections.  As for the wiring, colors may  change but I'd follow the wiring from the ignition to the coil and the wiring terminal.  GS (enduro) bikes will be more complicated due to the lights.  My bikes have a blue wire coming from the coil to the terminal. I run the wire from the kill button to the space opposite that blue wire on the terminal.  Make sure the kill button is fastened tight and on metal.  I hope this helps.  Anyone else have some advise?  Good luck, Jeff.  GO PENTON!
Dave Withrow

Tom Gougeon

Jeff:

Connect another ground wire directly from the kill switch bracket to the ignition coil mounting bracket. Use a good quality 16 GA type MTW wire, and use sta-kon ring connectors crimped on each end. Put a star type lock washer between the head of the screw and on the under side of the sta-kon connectors. Now you'll have a complete ground circuit between the switch and the coil.

Tom Gougeon

Jeff:

Connect another ground wire directly from the kill switch bracket to the ignition coil mounting bracket. Use a good quality 16 GA type MTW wire, and use sta-kon ring connectors crimped on each end. Put a star type lock washer between the head of the screw and on the under side of the sta-kon connectors. Now you'll have a complete ground circuit between the switch and the coil.