Sachs ignition cover reproduction

Started by Rick Bennett, June 10, 2024, 12:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bennett

I have started on a project to reproduce the Sachs ignition cover. Here is the first generation sample to check the fit up to the engine case. Options may include CNC,3D printing in plastic and aluminum. At this point, I am removing the speedo drive boss for cost reasons. All other details will be as original. Stay tuned for updates.
Rick Bennett

Rob Thatcher

Very cool! It seems everyone wants/needs one, and they are tough to find not trashed

KJDonovan

Just too cool - Can't wait to try one!  Thanks for diving into this Rick!
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Rob Hugo

That is looking good! I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a 3D scanner for things like that. Am anxious to see how this turns out. Please keep us updated as the project progresses.
Rob Hugo
Tumwater, WA

73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner

Doug Knight

The current used inventory is like finding hens teeth and priced as gold. And most likely a chunk missing from a thrown chain. Good to a see reproduction

Kip Kern

Very nice! You don't need the speedo drive as it was worthless anyways. Congratulations on the outstanding work

Larry Decker

Dal Aymond

Quote from: Rick Bennett on June 10, 2024, 12:02:43 PMI have started on a project to reproduce the Sachs ignition cover. Here is the first generation sample to check the fit up to the engine case. Options may include CNC,3D printing in plastic and aluminum. At this point, I am removing the speedo drive boss for cost reasons. All other details will be as original. Stay tuned for updates.
Rick Bennett

By removing the speedo drive boss, does this prevent dirt from getting in, like covers do that have the ignition drive broken?