Bing VS Mikuni

Started by tlanders, November 18, 2002, 10:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

I put a 32mm Mikuni on my Piner last year when I rebuilt the engine and spent a bunch of money on a reworked head to make the bike faster. I never did feel that it was any faster than my son's Piner with a Bing and it wasn't even rebuilt!!! A couple days ago I was talking to Barry Higgins and he said that a Penton with a Bing will put out 3 or 4 more horsepower than with a Mikuni. What say thou oh poggers of great experience? Teddy

Kip Kern

I'd say you couldn't have gotten a better answer from a better source of KTM knowledge!

john durrill

Teddy ,
 Bobby Lucas said the same thing to me Barry did several months ago when we were doing research on the 175 conversion. I know that on the two different 175's we have the Bing runs snappier and makes more  HP power than either the  Lectron or the Mikuni my sons 175 piner came with.
 A lot of the difference is getting the right needle , needle jet, slide cutaway for the engine.
  I believe that's where the difference in snap is in engine response between the Mikuni's I have fooled with and a stock Bing.  The Bing Flows great at the top and the factory did the work finding the right combo in jets, slides and needle so when you crack the Bing open it makes the Bike Fly.  
 Martijin uses a 36 mm Bing on his 125 Sachs road racer because they Flow so well and make great HP.
 It's only my opinion from jetting experiences in the past but,  To get a Mikuni working right has always taken me a bunch of parts and time. The testing  can get expensive with engine seizures while we sorted them out. Back then I was a dealer and parts were at cost and easy to find.
 The Bing would be my choice if I were MXing
 the Lectron for trails and enduro type stuff.
 Boosting the compression is something I shy away from unless I know someone that has already done it and has had good results with it.
  The thermal load on an air cooled engine can go from good to disaster in seconds from a small change in altitude and air temp when your running one hard. Especially if the jetting is on the edge.
 John  [the not so experienced, but who has made a bunch of mistakes and PAID and Paid and Paid FOR THEM!]
Chuckle chuckle

Mike Lenz

Teddy, With your fondness of power and holeshots go with a bing! Also Dirt Bike mag did a carb test in the 70's the bing got the most power out of all on the test bike they used. Bing,bing, bing ricochet Teddy!
Whats the forcast for the race sunday??

tlanders

Mike are you coming????? Oh Boy!!!! The number of Pentons will beat the Hodacrackers for sure!!!! I just took back the new 30mm Mikuni I got from my local dealer and asked Larry Perkins to bring me a Bing this Sunday. This is for my D engine 1975 Six Day. Now I need to find a Bing for my Piner. 32mm or 34mm? Teddy

tlanders

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. The forcast keeps getting colder with a chance of precipitation, but then the forcast changes every day so I'm hoping for the best. We have had 60 degree days for the last few, I wish it would just keep it up a few more days.

Dwight Rudder

The Bing will always develop more HP. I don't believe 4 more though. BUT on the other hand the Mikuni will always have more low end and ridablity. I know that when Pentons came with Lectrons that we had sister bikes that had a 36 Bing and one with a 34 Lectron. The Bing bike felt faster and almost uncontrolable in power. A real handful. The Lecton bike was a bunch smoother and much easier to ride. We wanted to know how much slower the lectron bike was so we put them both on the road in a drag race. No matter who was on what bike, both bikes went down the pike side by side with no advantage . They were equal in speed. So what feels faster isn't always so. My Zündapp GS125 with only 18hp will stay side by side with my Penton Six Day 125 with 21hp. The difference is how the power is put out. ( The Penton probably has 15mph more top speed.)

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.