High vs Low

Started by SoCal996, November 22, 2002, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal996

I'm currently running a low breather frame on my 72 125 AHRMA MX bike and am considering buying a high breather. Is there any advantage of one over the other? My current frame is slightly bent somewhere on the rear loop near where the rear fender attaches to the frame. Not a problem with performance, but just looks a little off.

Thanks,
Brian

john durrill

Brian we just heat the loop on both sides and bend it back in place.
 i think the only difference is the the added restriction of air coming down the length of the tube to the air box. the high breather has a rubber knock out plug just above the air box under the seat that can be removed if you need more air. the added length from the down tube gave us a little more torque over the low breathers. and you can run water to the bottom of the gas tank with out drowing out if the bikes sealed properly. That was a big advantage here in FLA.
 all the  body parts should interchage no problem. thats between a 72 low breather and a 73 high breather. dont know if the 74 frames have any differences.
John

Larry Perkins

The high-breather frame is heavier than the low-breather frame.  In MX this could be a small factor but since most of us are 15 to 20 pounds overweight there might be more obvious weight loss areas to concentrate on.

veelab

Is it ok to use the 35mm Ceriani with the low-breather frame?

Larry Perkins

They work fine with the low breather.  Less flex than the 32mm.