Pentons win at Turkey Cross

Started by tlanders, November 25, 2002, 12:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

It was a great day, sunny and 60 degrees. It was a great day for Pentons too. Larry Perkins, Fred Hunter, Bob Wardlow and I received 1st place trophies.  Bob Wardlow was incredible - what a rider!!! His Penton 400 flew over the jumps and he was in a hot contest with a 400 Maico. He finally passed him on a jump in the second moto in the second to last lap for the 1st place - it was spectacular!!! Bob drove 700 miles to get to Thayer, MO from Michigan.

The only bad thing of the day was there were more Yamahas than Pentons. We tied with the Huskies, but we did beat the Hodakas!!!

The good news of the day, Curtis Harper the Missouri Vintage MX organiser came to race and loved the track. It will be included in next years MOVMX series.

Teddy

Dave Withrow

Hey Teddy,
   Sounds like you guys had a great time.  Wish I could have made it.  Hmmm Bob sounds like a force to be reconned with next season.  Welcome back Larry, or was this just a cameo appearance.  Take care.
                               Dave

imported_n/a

Hey, Bob, good going!!  Sounds like your 400 is dialed in and smokin'!  Let's get some more Pentons back on the track, where they belong.

Glenn

rob w

Teddy, I made it back all right. Thanks for the nice words.
 It was so worth the drive for me, it was everything I was hoping for and more. After a half a year of talking and preparing it would have seemed a lost cause not to get at least one race under my belt before the end of the year. I've now learned some important things I needed to know in order to sort out my bike for next season.
 I am glad I trusted Teddy's judgement when he said this Thayer race would be held at a good facility, and had fun terrain to ride.
 When I arrived and got my first view of the track, I was stunned, it was beautiful, the nicest track I had seen all year. I walked towards it questioning to myself, "are those jumps meant for us"? RIGHT ON!! I was elated when I discovered they were and some good air time would be included in our fun.
 The turn out was'nt great, which can be understandable for a first time event, but a good level of competition was still there.
 I know when my fun meter hits high and it was maxed out all day long.
 I want to give a hundred thank you's to Ted and Rosemary Landers, Teddy's enthusiasm to get me down there, and their kindness and generosity to take care of me. They are truely wonderful people to share time with.
 We had a good POG foursome, it was a great time getting to know Fred Hunter and Larry Perkins some.
 I think this is just the start of something good for myself, looking forward to being in the pits with some more of you in the 03 season.
 Thayer,MO., The Landers, Pentons and vintage moto-cross rules, Take care & Happy Thanksgiving!

Trivia answers-
 Guennady Moisseev was the World 250 MX Champion on a KTM in 74, 77, and 78.

Gary Jones was the U.S. 250 Natl. Champion on three different makes, 72 Yamaha, 73 Honda, and 74 Can-am.

tlanders

I just posted some pictures including Bob W flying through the air at the Yahoo Groups VintageMX Photos (Don't) Fall Ozark Turkey Cross album

pketchum

Teddy rode an incredible race on Sunday.  We battled back and forth all day long in 4 separate moto's and he bested me with his 2-1, 2-1 finishes.  We dueled on the track and side-by-side in the air many times that day and he wouldn't give an inch!  I had such trouble looking over his shoulder in the turns that I briefly considered shouting "Hey" to try and unnerve him so I could be in front for awhile.  What a fine man and a formidable opponent!

Phast Phil
Hodaka 125 "Killer Kombat"

Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

tlanders

Boy, the Thayer Motorsport Farm is incredible. I just found out they took 150 pictures of our vintage race and they have posted them on their site at //www.thayermx.com. Check out Bob W FLYING through the air at the finish ONE HANDED. It is picture # 145. Another good picture of Bob is #124. There is one of me flying through the air with no seat #79 (boy that was a painful race!!!!) and with one with a seat # 134. Alex on the Piner is #110. I'm sure Larry and Fred are in there somewhere. Thayer does a great job putting on a race. We are hoping that they will host an AHRMA National Cross Country next year.

Teddy

rob w

Teddy,
 I like the pictures. All the folks running the show there are great, they love racing, they seemed like they had as much fun as we did. They are what makes it fun to participate in this sport. I will try to get back there next year.
                     Bob.

tlanders

I just scanned in a photo of the four first place Penton riders: PentonMan, AirBob, Burma Wolf, and LightningLanders. We sure looked happy.

Teddy