crank seals

Started by tomale, December 09, 2002, 03:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I have a 1976 KTM 250 mc5 motocrosser. I bought it brand new. I have been told that I need to replace the seals in it if I am to ride it again. It was stored in a dry climate in eastern washington. I removed and replaced the mag side but is there any easy way to replace the clutch side. The bike has been stored with oil in the gearbox and everything looks good. The mag side had that white stuff all over it but I managed to get it pretty much cleaned up, that side seal looked ok and the crank did not seem to be pitted so I think I am ok.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Rocket

The clutch side seal requires splitting the cases.  It won't hurt the motor to try and run it with the old seal, if it smokes excessively and won't clean out, the seal is probably bad and will have to be replaced.  I'd give it a try the way it is.
Just curious, was the bike sold as a KTM in 76 or a Penton?  Not much info when the change took place on the left coast.
Rocket

tomale

Hi rocket, thanks for the info. It is funny that I have heard that before too. It has KTM on the tank and the seat, as well as the engine. The tank is red and has black and white stripes going down the side with KTM in the striping. When I bought it new in the sunlight of calif. (BayArea) you could see that at one time the seat said penton across the rear of seat. As I remember you could get either a 250 or a 400 that year and I think 125'a as well. soon after I moved up here I saw a 125 that was a dead ringer for mine. I think that it had a KTM motor as well. Again thank you for your help. If any one else has something to contribute I would sure like to hear from you,

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W