tire pressures/tire studs

Started by tomale, December 13, 2002, 10:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

On My 76 MC5250 my bike came with studs that stick into the welt of the tire. As I remember this was so that I could ride with really low tire pressures. Do I need them and what tire pressure would be good to run. I am not sure of the kind of terrain I will be riding on. I am sure it will be mud to some degree but I do not think that it is real high percentage of clay which is good. I am guessing at this point. I never riden any where near where I now live.

I raced my 76 MC5 in the early 70 but just now getting backe into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Rocket

The studs that you are referring to must be the pins that are in the bead area of the Sun rims.  They did away with rimlocks when they started using the pins.  I would think you could run pretty low tire pressures with them.  What part of the country do you live in?  I am from the Midwest and I usually run 12lbs fron and rear, but we don't have many rocks around here.
Rocket

tomale

Thanks Rocket,I live in the pacific northwest. I don't know anybody who rides up here so I have no one to ask. (I mean real dirt riders that would know that there is a difference from one kind of dirt to another.)There is not much sand aroud here but there are rocks, I have been told that the race track in southern washington is groomed to have no rocks, that would be nice. but I think if I trail ride I will incounter many a rock.

I raced my 76 MC5 in the early 70 but just now getting backe into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W