what's eating my tank

Started by tomale, December 29, 2002, 05:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

On one of the other messages some mentioned about unleaded gas eating fiberglass tanks. I have never heard of this before, what is this all about.Why would leaded gas be safe and unleaded gas be a problem. My bike has a fiberglass tank, and I don't like the idea of the fuel eating at my tank each time I put gas in my bike.[:o}
happy trails.

Thom Green,I bought and raced my 76 250 MC5 in 76'and 77' but I am just now getting back into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Dwight Rudder

Just make sure you are not buying Gas with alcohol mixed in. This isn't good for any motorcycle, especially 2 strokes. It attacks plastic and fiberglass parts. Causes petroleum and most synthetics to seperate from gas.
Cher'o

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

tomale

Thanks Dwight,
I Never have used that cheap gas in my bike. I try to find the best gas I can, Octane is important. I was talking with a guy I met that workes in a refinery He said that all of the Gas that you get is the same Ie. It comes out of the same pipe line. the differances are the additives that are put in just before it is shipped to your local gas station. Arco I understand uses there own stuff. but then it does have alcohol in it.
the other thing that I have noticed is that our bikes were designed to run with Gas that's a 95 octane rating. and at least out here the highest that you can get with out buying racing gas is 92. So for some of you that didn't know the differance you need to run the highest octane you can get. Too low of octane causes pre mature ignition (pinging) which is bad for you bike.

Thom Green,I bought and raced my 76 250 MC5 in 76'and 77' but I am just now getting back into riding again.
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

Thanks Dwight,
I Never have used that cheap gas in my bike. I try to find the best gas I can, Octane is important. I was talking with a guy I met that workes in a refinery He said that all of the Gas that you get is the same Ie. It comes out of the same pipe line. the differances are the additives that are put in just before it is shipped to your local gas station. Arco I understand uses there own stuff. but then it does have alcohol in it.
the other thing that I have noticed is that our bikes were designed to run with Gas that's a 95 octane rating. and at least out here the highest that you can get with out buying racing gas is 92. So for some of you that didn't know the differance you need to run the highest octane you can get. Too low of octane causes pre mature ignition (pinging) which is bad for you bike.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

Thanks Dwight,

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

Thanks Dwight,

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W