what was the last year of the penton bikes

Started by mosesnra, December 20, 2002, 10:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mosesnra

i got a lead on a late 70s bike and im not sure as i havent gone to see the bike yet.

dean    [email protected]

tomale

I was asking someone from POG a couple of weeks ago about just was the last year. As I understand it was 1977 however it sort of depends on where you are. I bought a new bike in 1976 and when you looked at the bike in the sun light you could see that the printing on the back of the seat once said Penton. I bought the bike in calif. but if you were in Enduro heaven, (mid west)you would have gotten the same bike with Penton on the tank. I was told that the bikes especially the years 76'& 77" rolled off the assembly line as both Penton and KTM same bike different name. I think that in 75 no matter where you were in the USA you could only have gotten a Penton. Maybe some of the other "Poggers" can give you more information. Happy hunting!

Thom Green,I bought and raced my 76 250 MC5 in 76'and 77' but I am just now getting back into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

TGTech

The last official year that there were Penton motorcycles manufactured or sold as current models, was 1977. In the few years prior to that, a gentleman by the name of Ted Lapadakis, began to sell the bikes in the West, branded as KTM's.

As of January 1, 1978, all of the bikes that KTM made, were now KTM motorcycles.

Dwight Rudder

That is unless you put Penton stickers on KTMs, HEHEHEHE.  I thought about buying a KTM but I wouldn't ride one unless I had Penton stickers on it.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

mosesnra

dwight i like that idea stickers on the ktm pentons

tomale

Hmmm, intersesting idea, putting Penton stickers on my bike. I always wanted a true Penton. Boy! are you Penton guys loyal!

Thom Green,I bought and raced my 76 250 MC5 in 76'and 77' but I am just now getting back into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W