A shocking story

Started by tomale, December 29, 2002, 01:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

I just went out and checked my bike and my shockes are inverted. MY bike is a 76 250MC5 and it had the slanted shockes with a banana swing arm. The Marzokes that came on it had this big ugly resevoir on it and they were inverted as well.
I am saying this because I am not quite sure what I have for shocks. I think that they are Pre Fox air shocks. The Fox brothers were messing with shocks long before they came out with the air shock. I knew one of the Fox boys and I bought my only pair of Air shocks from Him. The reason I am not sure about the heritage of the shocks on my bike is because. I traded of my maico and as part of the deal they got my air shocks I in turn got the shockes of another bike that they gave me for my KTM These shocks are painted black but you can see red underneath. I think that they are Koni shocks that have been revalved.There is no adjustment for spring sag, only a clip and a washer to hold the springs in place. they have two springs per shock ( two different spring ratios) I think that this was so that you could still soak up the small bumps but still have a heavy spring to handle the big stuff. Does someone still make shock springs for these old shocks. I am alot heavier now that when I last rode with any consistancy.  And what would maybe be another shock that would work better. I would love to have a set of FOX two stage air shocks but they are way out of my price range.

Thom Green,I bought and raced my 76 250 MC5 in 76'and 77' but I am just now getting back into riding again.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Dwight Rudder

A 1976 bike isn't considered VINTAGE. It is a post-vintage Historic transition machine.  We started experimenting with USD shocks that year. and by 1977 most were that way. Of course most were gas shocks with resevoir also. You can also mount shocks with a gas bag inside also USD. You can't mount emulsion shocks or non gas shocks inverted.
Cher'o,

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.