Previous topic - Next topic

kitty

I was just given a small -all aluminum Penton
motorbike .What do I have? says
125cc  cafe' moto-cross   on gas tank
sachs 1251/5A   6773690 on plate on engine
also stamped with Penton name other places
is this worth restoring ? almost complete missing
seat .-this bike was given to me because it matches my all aluminum vintage scotty camper???
where do I begin restoring this bike?-parts-
literature-etc.      

kitty lynch
kitty lynch

Tom Gougeon

Definetly worth restoring. I'm not into the smaller Sachs engined Pentons, but lots of other members are and it seems parts are available, though not cheap. There's also a Penton Forum on Yahoo. There's several links and contacts on this site for parts and also a member in Switzerland that sells parts. Good Luck on your restoration and welcome to the group!

kitty

the bike does say Wassell on front of frame under headlight. Headlight is over 6" in diameter aluminum and chrome. also says Dudley England
on front fork . Original wassell warning label on side of frame
says not for highway use or pavement  .Exaust
comes up and around in a square like shape then down on left  side ,very small exaust system .Has aluminum rectangle plate bolted on above pipe.
The gas tank is different from any photos that I
 have seen its more like an upside down bowling
pin shape than round or oval but definetly original
to the bike. Steel frame .
kitty lynch

Paul Danik

The Cafe Motocross is a Wassell trials machine that Penton altered in a marketing attempt to clean out the warehouse. They put a high fender mount on the front forks to raise the fender, put on knobby tires and made some other changes, depending on what "extra" parts were on hand. It sounds as though they put lights on your machine.  The serial number for the frame is on the left side of the forkhead and normally will be three numbers followed by ST, such as 583 ST.
The ST stands for Sachs Trials. There is no "normal" for these machines as they were altered with what was on hand, so some of my assumptions could be wrong, but I hope this helps.

Tom Gougeon

Definetly worth restoring. I'm not into the smaller Sachs engined Pentons, but lots of other members are and it seems parts are available, though not cheap. There's also a Penton Forum on Yahoo. There's several links and contacts on this site for parts and also a member in Switzerland that sells parts. Good Luck on your restoration and welcome to the group!

kitty

the bike does say Wassell on front of frame under headlight. Headlight is over 6" in diameter aluminum and chrome. also says Dudley England
on front fork . Original wassell warning label on side of frame
says not for highway use or pavement  .Exaust
comes up and around in a square like shape then down on left  side ,very small exaust system .Has aluminum rectangle plate bolted on above pipe.
The gas tank is different from any photos that I
 have seen its more like an upside down bowling
pin shape than round or oval but definetly original
to the bike. Steel frame .
kitty lynch

Paul Danik

The Cafe Motocross is a Wassell trials machine that Penton altered in a marketing attempt to clean out the warehouse. They put a high fender mount on the front forks to raise the fender, put on knobby tires and made some other changes, depending on what "extra" parts were on hand. It sounds as though they put lights on your machine.  The serial number for the frame is on the left side of the forkhead and normally will be three numbers followed by ST, such as 583 ST.
The ST stands for Sachs Trials. There is no "normal" for these machines as they were altered with what was on hand, so some of my assumptions could be wrong, but I hope this helps.