PVL 175 timing question

Started by Dennis Jones, January 01, 2003, 01:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Jones

The motoplat on my 74 175 piner died so I'm installing a new PVL. Does anybody have experience  where to set the timing with this combination? Thanks

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Kip Kern

Contact Dane L at PVL.  He will help you!

Dennis Jones

Thanks Kip

I got impatient yesterday and set it at 3mm before TDC. It starts and runs great, I can adjust from there. I didn't get to ride it a lot, but I think I'm going to like the internal roter, it revs really fast.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tlanders

I have read that you add .2mm to the stock motoplat timing. If the motoplat was 2.6mm, make it 2.8mm with the PVL. I have PVLs on my Six Day, Hare Scrambler, and Mint 400 since they are motocrossers, but not on my enduro Piner because I want the lighting coil.

Teddy

Dennis Jones

Thanks Teddy

The only thing I could find in my manual calls for 2.9 to 3.0,does this sound right to you? I may need to add the .2

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tlanders

Dennis I think you ought to take Kip's advice and call Dane and then post his answer for us all to read. I forgot to check my information at home last night and I get this email at work. SO, if I don't forget again, which is entirely possible, I will check it tomorrow. I know I remember 2.6 to 2.8 but I don't remember whick bike it was on. I think the 400 was even less like 2.4mm.

Teddy

Kip Kern

Contact Dane L at PVL.  He will help you!

Dennis Jones

Thanks Kip

I got impatient yesterday and set it at 3mm before TDC. It starts and runs great, I can adjust from there. I didn't get to ride it a lot, but I think I'm going to like the internal roter, it revs really fast.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tlanders

I have read that you add .2mm to the stock motoplat timing. If the motoplat was 2.6mm, make it 2.8mm with the PVL. I have PVLs on my Six Day, Hare Scrambler, and Mint 400 since they are motocrossers, but not on my enduro Piner because I want the lighting coil.

Teddy

Dennis Jones

Thanks Teddy

The only thing I could find in my manual calls for 2.9 to 3.0,does this sound right to you? I may need to add the .2

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tlanders

Dennis I think you ought to take Kip's advice and call Dane and then post his answer for us all to read. I forgot to check my information at home last night and I get this email at work. SO, if I don't forget again, which is entirely possible, I will check it tomorrow. I know I remember 2.6 to 2.8 but I don't remember whick bike it was on. I think the 400 was even less like 2.4mm.

Teddy

Dennis Jones

I took the advice and called Dane. He did not recomend the 3.0 before TDC I started with for fear that much advance could cause kick back during starting. 2.6 - 2.8 is  what was recomended.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones