Heads up on a 73 Piner

Started by Dennis D, December 29, 2002, 10:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis D

'73 Piner for sale at this address:
[email protected]
Bike is located in E. Moline, Ill. Ad says it runs but needs kicker and he is at 1,000.00 firm. Dennis D

Rocket

I have seen a picture of this bike, looks very nice.  It has a 125 6-day tank on it.  This is possibly my old JP that I traded in in 75.  I put a green Enduro tank on mine and stored the small mx tank, still on my shelf in the garage today.
Rocket

Dennis D

I wonder if anyone on the board checked it out? Seems to always be an interest in Piners for sale. Dennis

Mike Berrington

I spent some time emailing Marty for the past several days, he is  very helpful. He just got it put back together and running after repainting the frame.  The Bike appears to be in pretty good shape and has decent Preston Petty plastic, a integral tail light and headlight number plate, both in white.  The tank is a six Days, but in good shape.  The seat is not correct,  not sure if it is a 1974 or newer or just a re-foam and cover.  The pipe has been "circumcised".  I was very interested until I found how far he is from here.  I hope this helps.  

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Dennis D

Thanks Mike, The bike is not really that far from me in miles...just in money! I'm redoing a 72 Piner and really can't afford another one right now. Where do you live? You never know who is going where. I hauled a Hodaka to Texas over the thanksgiving holiday for a person I had never met befoe I just knew him from the Vinduro board. If you want the bike maybe you could hook up with someone. Just a thought, Dennis

Mike Berrington

I am in Virginia, in the Shenandoah Valley.  I plan attending the Penton day at the AMA hall of Fame on Feb 8th  in Pickerinton Ohio.  I have a line on another Piner that I am seriously considering, but it is even more money, different condition, better /worse is to subjective.

I hate to even ask but, what is the market value for a restorable and running bike, what is the value of a fully restored Jackpiner?   I am in a quandary on how much I should spend on the front end.  I would have to assume it is like all restorations you pay now or later....

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Rocket

I have seen a picture of this bike, looks very nice.  It has a 125 6-day tank on it.  This is possibly my old JP that I traded in in 75.  I put a green Enduro tank on mine and stored the small mx tank, still on my shelf in the garage today.
Rocket

Dennis D

I wonder if anyone on the board checked it out? Seems to always be an interest in Piners for sale. Dennis

Mike Berrington

I spent some time emailing Marty for the past several days, he is  very helpful. He just got it put back together and running after repainting the frame.  The Bike appears to be in pretty good shape and has decent Preston Petty plastic, a integral tail light and headlight number plate, both in white.  The tank is a six Days, but in good shape.  The seat is not correct,  not sure if it is a 1974 or newer or just a re-foam and cover.  The pipe has been "circumcised".  I was very interested until I found how far he is from here.  I hope this helps.  

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Dennis D

Thanks Mike, The bike is not really that far from me in miles...just in money! I'm redoing a 72 Piner and really can't afford another one right now. Where do you live? You never know who is going where. I hauled a Hodaka to Texas over the thanksgiving holiday for a person I had never met befoe I just knew him from the Vinduro board. If you want the bike maybe you could hook up with someone. Just a thought, Dennis

Mike Berrington

I am in Virginia, in the Shenandoah Valley.  I plan attending the Penton day at the AMA hall of Fame on Feb 8th  in Pickerinton Ohio.  I have a line on another Piner that I am seriously considering, but it is even more money, different condition, better /worse is to subjective.

I hate to even ask but, what is the market value for a restorable and running bike, what is the value of a fully restored Jackpiner?   I am in a quandary on how much I should spend on the front end.  I would have to assume it is like all restorations you pay now or later....

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.

Dennis D

Mike, Tough question. I would say that you have to decide if you are going to keep the bike and enjoy it untill you get your money's worth or are you building it with the hope of making a buck on it. I'll tell you about mine. I went to mid Ohio this year for the first time. I thought that I could find several 72 or 73 Piners to choose from since it is such a hugh swapmeet.I was wrong. It was the only Penton that I found for sale. I found my Piner on Saturday after walking I don't know how many miles. This bike wasn't there on Friday. The guy was from Mich. and was asking 1,000 for it. I bought the bike for 825.00 and Mark Annan hauled it home for me. I figure I'll have about 2500 to 3000 in it by the time that I get done with it. The bike was about 90% complete and correct and it did start and run but the clutches were stuck from sitting for four years. It had a PP headlamp and a plastic front fender on it. I have since found most of the parts that I need on evil-bay or from the suppliers that are on the pog site. I still need an alloy fender and a cev headlamp switch and I should have all the parts to put it together. Even at 3 thou. not counting my labor (you can never count that!) I still feel that I could break even on the bike IF I would ever want to get rid of it. It's kinda like my Victor that I have way to much invested in, I reliving some of my youth, and how can you put a price on that? HTH Dennis

Mike Berrington

Thanks for the insight.  My plans are to restore and keep.  I raced a Jackpiner through 1977 when I went to the Japanese Jackpiner.....a Yamaha IT175.  I have been looking and contemplating for several years and now is the time.  I have 5 Jap bikse in the garage and we "need" to balance that out a little.

Mike Berrington
Waynesboro VA.