Powder Coating Frames

Started by tlanders, January 19, 2003, 03:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

I know that Kent K. suggested using a urethane paint for frames and not using powder coating because he can repaint in the field. However, I want to powder coat a couple frames. My paint shop can't seem to find a color from there supplier that matches the Penton frame color on my other bikes. Does anyone know of a powder manufacturer that makes the right color? If so, what company and paint name/number? Thanks, Teddy

DKWRACER

Ted, had good results with Mercedes Silver from Fuller Powder Coating etc...
Tom....

Thomas Brosius

tmc3c

Hey Teddy, I had a shop here in Simpsonville S.C. powder coat my frame and I swear you can't tell it from original,he also did my pipe amd the cone in a silver that looks chrome.Maybe He could help. His name is Kenneth Stone with Millennium Performance Coatings. Phone#[864]963-4042 This is also a Stone's machine shop too,just in case the phone is answered this way. Hope this helps!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

desmond197

I would advise against powder coating a dirt bike frame. I am restoring a Can Am 200 ASE that was powder coated and when it chips it starts to rust like crazy under the coating I could not believe the rust on this frame under the powder coat. the fram ewas amde by CCM so it could be that high quality british steel. I have been haveing good results with Hammerite paint for frames. I started with a Monark and I am doing  a couple of Tyrans and the paint seems to hold up well. Rustolium also has a Hammer finish that I have had good luck with.

OUCWBOY

I have had a few frames powder coated and the color that I found to best match was Camaro Silver.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Rocket

Desmond197
I believe the KTM's from 98 on have had powder coated frames and they hold up great.
Rocket

tlanders

Thanks for all the help. I followed up on Thomas's leads and we ended up with a silver that was locally available. Millennium Performance coatings used "Dirt Bike Silver" from Eastwood. The frames are done and they look beautiful. I started to reassemble them this weekend. I didn't get very far because of the cold. My feet got frost bitten. It took almost an hour to thaw them out. I still have two engines in a million pieces and a new used one that I haven't really tested. I just pray that I will be ready for Bike week next month. Unfortunately I have to go to Chile again for another job start up on Feb 10th. Oh well, what would life be without all these self made deadlines??? Again, thanks for all your input, you guys are great.

Teddy