I just can't do it Captain, I've got no manual

Started by Dave Withrow, February 05, 2003, 10:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Withrow

Can some kind soul give me some insight on the KTM 420 ('80) motor?  Specifically, locations for the oil check plug, drain plug, and fill plug(if one exists).  Better yet, does anyone have a manual they would sell?  Also, would Specto 80-85wt be O.K. in the tranny?  Thanks.  GO PENTON!

Russ B

Dave, I have a 420...you don't want it, just ship it to me and I'll take it off your  hands so you don't have to deal with the lack of an oil check plug. Just kidding, but I will make you a copy of the owner's manual for the cost of postage and copies. Otherwise...

1. Oil check plug: there isn't one on mine, but the manual shows it located just in front of round part of clutch cover above the horizontal fin on the front of said cover. I plan on drilling/tapping mine for a plug before I put it back in service.

2. Drain plug: on right side of engine case behind footpeg at the lowest point of the case side.

3.  Fill plug: About an inch or two above shift lever on clutch cover there should be a large plug with allen head.

Manual calls for 1.4 liters 20W oil or automatic trans fluid. Any good motorcycle gear oil ought to be fine. i usually use Bel-Ray gear saver in all my race bikes, and I've never had a problem.  

Dave Withrow

Thanks Russ.  I located the fill and drain plugs and, like you, have no check plug.  I'll e-mail you my address.  Thanks again.