74 Six day tank style?

Started by desmond197, February 05, 2003, 06:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I have a 74 six day I am restoring and I am not shure of the tank style. Is it tthe same tank as the 72/73 bikes or is it the later style that was on the 75 KTM enduros with the spring tank straps and the striped logos?

Rocket

I believe it should be the earlier style held on with the leather strap.
Rocket

rd400pi

Hey guys, I'm thinkin' the tank changed shape and went to the full length lower stripe.  Anybody out there know the true skinny?  We in search of knowledge.  

Mike Husted (rd400pi)
'73 Six Day  

Paul Danik

The early 74 machines had the strap and the later ones had the updated style tank held on with the bungies.  Look at the steering head and see if there is a loop on each side that would be used to hold the front of the bungie. They are located just above the lower steering head bearing. The 74 machines went through many transitions.  Starting out like the 73 models and ending up with the "D" engine, angled shocks and new style tank with the bungies.

Paul Danik

The early 74 machines had the strap and the later ones had the updated style tank held on with the bungies.  Look at the steering head and see if there is a loop on each side that would be used to hold the front of the bungie. They are located just above the lower steering head bearing. The 74 machines went through many transitions.  Starting out like the 73 models and ending up with the "D" engine, angled shocks and new style tank with the bungies.

Dwight Rudder

I had a 1974 that had a GP style porting but a B type engine. IT WAS FAST !  Faster than Tommy's.
Dave Munganast has one identical to mine ( NEW ).  Mine had the rounded tank with spring cable straps with tall narrow seat. But a 1973 like frame. It had the later sweep back type handle bars ( which I didn't like as well as the 1972-3 type ). It had the Large H/L and ABS plastic fenders. I drilled an extra hole in shock mount to get nearly 5" of rear travel. Mine had the 35mm Ceriani forks.
Cher'o,
Dwight

PS:  If anyone needs photos of this bike I may have a few with me on it.

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

desmond197

Thanks guys my frame has the loops for the bungee cord. I have the tall narrow seat and the abs fenders with the metal strap mount for the rear and the 35 MM Ceriani forks, Magnesium wheels/ alloy rims. The rest of the frame is more 73 and does not have the angle mounts. I have an updated style tank but it is red instead of green like my other fiberglass stuff for the bike. Was the rear brake backing plate black or silver. All of the backing plates I have are silver bare aluminum.